• Register Today It's free!

Hub Nut Size?

TravisM.

Reaction score
City, State
Mapleton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Sport
What size socket do I need to remove the Hub nut on a 96 Explorer Sport with the Control-Trac 4wd? I need to remove the rotors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TravisM. said:
I need to remove the rotors.

Then all you need is a bigger hammer. You do not need to remove the spindle nut on a 4x4 to remove the rotors unless you cannot separate the rotor from the hub flange. Usually a BFH, propane torch to heat the rotor face, and a good, heavy-duty puller are all it takes to crack everything loose.

If none of that works, you'll need to remove the hub assembly and have the rotor pressed off the flange. Over time, moisture corrodes the back side of the rotor to the face of the hub flange. A very thin layer of anti-seize will prevent the new ones from doing the same thing.

Good luck!

Oh, and to answer your question, should you need to remove the nut, I think it's a 32mm.... that's what comes to mind, but don't quote me on that. You'll also need to replace it as it's a squash-nut and only designed to be used once.

-Joe

The nut DID NOT need to come off.
A little mechanical persuasion brought the rotors right off.
I had the drivers side done in less than 45 minutes (including a quick lunch break), from wheel-off to wheel-on. The passenger side was a different story- I had more trouble with the bolts holding the Caliper Mounting Bracket than anything else. Ruined two 15mm sockets, used half a can of PB blaster, and finally ended up setting my floor jack up under the handle of the breaker bar and using the jack to break the bolts free.
After I got them out, the bolts had red powdery junk on the threads. I assume it was cooked-out loctite. The driver's side had this as well, but wasnt nearly as big a pain to get out. The brakes I just took off were the original brakes.
Anyway, re-assembled and test driven. The shake is gone.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Edit to add- I anti-siezed the hell out of all the contact points, maybe next time it'll go even quicker.

Igotmy hub off yesterday with a 1 1/4 extended socket and a impact gun. No Problems

Back