I am trying to find a lowering kit for a 4x4 97explorer front and rear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I am trying to find a lowering kit for a 4x4 97explorer front and rear

big_verm

Reaction score
City, State
South Bend, In
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
I am looking for a lowering kit for my 1997 EB explorer AWD. I want to lower the front and rear. I haven't been able to find any kits on the net at all. If anybody can help please do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why would you lower a 4x4?

sorry not all of us are into the lifting and offroading experience. to each them own. if you don't like lowered trucks then why did you feel the need to come to this thread. this is one of those times when you just need to insert foot in mouth and leave. they make a thread for you 4x4 loving people and they have threads for us lowriding and air bag loving rides. thank you and please only responde if you have something helpful for more lowered explorer owners.

Not many people seem to be going for that group buy, so just go to www.explorerexpress.com and in their catalog, there is the lowering kit. I plan on lowering mine this spring.

Sorry bro! No need to get testy! Just a question. I wasn't sure if there was a purpose behind it or not. I agree 100%, to each there own. I have seen some *****in lowered X's on here. There was no bashing intended.

man don't worry about it. i just am getting sick of getting bashed for likeing lowriders. i love it when people from both sides can shoot the **** and not rip on other peoples choices in rides. rock on

i am looking for about a 4" drop not a 1 3/4 drop

also since i am having such a hard time finding a front lowering kit what could i do to lower it. see i haven't even seen the truck my wife bought it for me while i have been over here in iraq and it is my suprise to fix up when i get home so i am buying all the parts so that when i finally get to leave this war i can do it all at once. i have about 40 more days till i get to go home and see it.

Peace, Love and Granolla!

Good luck on your project!

Originally posted by big_verm
i am looking for about a 4" drop not a 1 3/4 drop

Good Luck, You would most likely have to go totally custom in the front. The rear you could do the rear conventinally very easy. But the front will require more attention.

front will need to be totally custom with coilovers or bags. sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Wouldn't the tortion twist flip do the trick? I know its not recommended but it'll get 4" drop accomplished, no?

man don't worry about it. i just am getting sick of getting bashed for likeing lowriders. i love it when people from both sides can shoot the **** and not rip on other peoples choices in rides. rock on

He didn't rip on you at all. It was just a question of logic. A 2wd is much more street friendly, cheaper/easier to lower, and cheaper to buy/maintain. Sell yours, buy another, and buy a few more toys for it with the difference in cost.... jeesh

Originally posted by Shagnasty
A 2wd is much more street friendly, cheaper/easier to lower, and cheaper to buy/maintain.
hmmm... how is this so?

I wasn't being sarcastic, so i don't understand why I'm recieving sarcasm.

street friendly = lower drag, better on gas. AWD does burn gas. & it's heavier

cheaper and easier to lower = don't have to worry about that pesky "FRONT AXLE ASSEMBLY", or binding, or other inherent complications.

cheaper to buy/maintain = That OPTION of having a front axle costs money, and also inflates resale. 2wd is cheaper than AWD all of the time. Maintaining front spindles vs. all of the costs of maintaining wear and tear of a front axle over considerable time, well... axles are more expensive...

how would i do the torsion flip. remember i haven't seen the truck yet so i know nothing about the suspension on it.

would lowering springs for a ranger or f-150 work? I found some springs that are like a 3 inch drop and a 2 inch drop

Originally posted by Shagnasty
I wasn't being sarcastic, so i don't understand why I'm recieving sarcasm....
No sarcasm. Just trying to understand and be clear about it. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

would lowering springs for a ranger or f-150 work? I found some springs that are like a 3 inch drop and a 2 inch drop
no, because the explorer doesnt have coil springs. it has torsion bars. the only way to lower it without bagging it is to relieve tension on the torsion bars. the lower it goes, the worse it rides. also, any lower than 2-2.5" and you will no longer be able to align the front end. it will chew through front tires really quickly. do a search on torsion bar adjuster flip. you can do this to get 3-5" of front drop. the ride is unbearable, and be prepared to buy tires every 6 months.

im sorry, but its either 2" or totally custom super high dollar.

Back