• Register Today It's free!

I did it again

tomfrojr

Reaction score
City, State
Westhampton Beach, NY 11978
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4X4
Hay, all I did it again I was out wheeling yesterday and went through another puddle and stalled my motor out. I went to turn it over and nothing happend. I know my engine is hydro locked. What I want to know is that does this always lead to a blown or ruined motor? I am going back out to the trail today to see about getting it to turn over. I plan on removing the plugs and draining the oil and removing the pan. Is it worth the trouble or should I just figure it is blown?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hydrolocked doesn't necessarily mean blown. If you didn't break or bend anything, you should be able to get it running again with some TLC. Take all the plugs out of it and put a socket wrench on the crankshaft and try to turn it by hand. You might want to pour some WD-40 down each cylinder and let it sit for a while first, since WD-40 is a water displacer. If it still won't turn over, it's time to disassemble the motor. It still might not be blown though. If the water got between the rings and nothing broke, you may just have to disassemble, clean, lubricate and reassemble the motor.

Good Luck!!

Sounds like someone needs a snorkle.

I have read you can just pull the plugs, turn it over a few times and put the plugs back in and vrrroommm. I guess water doesn't compress as much as air, so it has to go somewhere (out the spark plug holes).

I know this worked on my old trail bike when my moron roommate left the gas on for days and flooded the cylinder.

Don't take my advice though, I have never done this. My buddy did it in his 67' Bronco and that sucked, we hiked out for miles.

well I went to the truck today and pulled the plugs and drained the oil in the field. man did allot of water come out of that engine. I added new oil and reused the old filter since I did not have a new one, replaced the plugs. tis all after manually turning the cranc shaft. it took a little while to turn the motor over but it did turn the engine over and it runs like it did before the water incident. I did another oil change when I got home with a new filter. I am glad that no damage was done to the engine but it may be a while before I 4-wheelin again though my shipmates have forbidden me to do it hehe till I get something else to drive incase something like this happens again. SIGHhhhhh!!

Glad it fired for ya. Time to stop running through ponds :D and stick to the dirt and rocks. Time for you to join a bunch of us and go to Paragon (Hazleton, PA). Plenty of wheeling there where you can avoid water if you like.

What kind of intake setup do you have? If you just have a KN drop-in in the stock airbox, I'd drill a bunch of holes in the airbox or remove part of it. This will stop the suction through the stock airscoop that's behind the bumper. This way, you should be able to ford water that's midway up your bumper. The key with deep water is to go the right speed (not too slow, but no bow wave) and be gentle.

With my open airbox, I can go through water halfway up my headlights, which is about 3 feet :D Of course, I've done it many times and am comfy with it.

Yeah, if you have the stock conical filter, you are begging to suck water into the motor. It's not real water friendly because of the intake location. As Alec said, drilling the airbox will help that problem a lot.

EDIT: PHHHHHHHHHHHTTTT. It was late, I was beat. Didn't check my typing :confused: :p

heh, yeah I know what you mean about the stock intake box. I actually removed the whole box and mounting bracket for it and basically have the intake hose zip tied to hold it up some and the conical air filter is held on by the bracket that held the box to the hose. It works great! I get lotsa air flow and can feel the difference from when I had tbe box. This puddle is the same puddle that killed my last motor before the modification heh and it did it again. I dont know if I was going to fast into the puddle but I know there are tracks and they run prity deep.

Hazleton PA..where exactly is that? I wouldnt mind taking a road trip down there sometime soon and checking out Paragon if anyone would want to show me around :)

Back