i got a estimate for a clutch install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i got a estimate for a clutch install

schmidlkofer

Reaction score
City, State
thornton, colorado.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
ok he said 375 to 400 in labor does that sound right?? he knows what he is doing he has done many clutches before but what do you think it should be....and the price does not include the clutch but if other things have to be replaced he will replace them without charging extra as long as i buy the parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you have any doubts, shop it around and i always like to ask, at the most how much is it going to cost...

it was $800 for my clutch install. :mad:

it was $800 for my clutch install. :mad:

stealership?? thats what ford told me it would be for them to do it....uhmm well this guy is the cheapest but i think i might have someone else do it...a friend of mine somewhat knows how to do it and his dad puts clutches in semis and stuff so i think we might try that rout...if that does not work ill prolly just trailer my explorer to the guy that gave me the estimate....

stealership?? thats what ford told me it would be for them to do it....uhmm well this guy is the cheapest but i think i might have someone else do it...

The $800 was through an independent shop. It was over $1200 when the dealership did the install on my parents expo.

oh dang well ill have me and my friend figure it out and if we get to stumped ill talk to the other guy into doing it...

When I replaced the trans in mine, I also had the clutch replaced. The guy did the clutch for free, just paid $35 for the flywheel resurfacing.
Rebuilt tranny, $475 (m5od)
Labor, $350
flywheel $35
Total cost with tax was about $930
The clutch I bought online for 200 something.
I am thinking of swapping out the stock strength clutch for a centerforce one day, but I may try the install myself.

$400 isn't bad. If it's 4x4 the xfer case tranny & all related parts need to be taking out to do the job right.
I paid $600 when I had my old sport done. Including parts.

My little Acura is going to be in the $800 range when it needs to be done. Damn new cars are complex.

$400 isn't bad. If it's 4x4 the xfer case tranny & all related parts need to be taking out to do the job right.
I paid $600 when I had my old sport done. Including parts.

My little Acura is going to be in the $800 range when it needs to be done. Damn new cars are complex.

thanks ill probably go for it.

I had to pay $765 in Boston (always made noise afterwards), and $550 down here in North Carolina (no noise included).
I think it depends on the price of living (read: how much they can fleece you for).
Karl

hmmm....

$400 is a good deal. Before I bought my Navajo, I was looking at a $250 Ex Sport 5-spd 4x4 that needed a clutch. A coworker of mine offered to do it for $400, which is about 1/2 of standard retail rates.

ok so im getting my clutch done this weekend......i bought a clutch kit from auto zone the guy that is doing it said it could need a whole kit or just a plate....so i bought the kit...if its just the plate should i get a centerforce 2 or something....what would you recomend if everything is good but the plate?

Dont use a cheap ass clutch (clutch = driven disc, pressure plate)
install a new slave cylinder and throw out bearing, and have the flywheel surfaced and a new pilot bearing installed.

If you are going to all the trouble to remove the trans and isntall a new clutch, then stab the trans and bleed I would use a GOOD clutch if not the best I could find.

Luk gold is decent, OEM is good, Centerforce is really good too.

What did Autozone sell you? Duralast cheapo? If so I say skip it

$400 for a 4x4 is a HELL OF A DEAL, I would expect this to go up and I also dont expect this includes a new throw out bearing and slave cylinder?

Cost me about $350 just in parts to do my own, takes 6-8 hours working alone with hand tools and I have done the 4x4 4.0L drivetrain clutch about 12 times

Dont use a cheap ass clutch (clutch = driven disc, pressure plate)
install a new slave cylinder and throw out bearing, and have the flywheel surfaced and a new pilot bearing installed.

If you are going to all the trouble to remove the trans and isntall a new clutch, then stab the trans and bleed I would use a GOOD clutch if not the best I could find.

Luk gold is decent, OEM is good, Centerforce is really good too.

What did Autozone sell you? Duralast cheapo? If so I say skip it

$400 for a 4x4 is a HELL OF A DEAL, I would expect this to go up and I also dont expect this includes a new throw out bearing and slave cylinder?

Cost me about $350 just in parts to do my own, takes 6-8 hours working alone with hand tools and I have done the 4x4 4.0L drivetrain clutch about 12 times

well the 400 does not include parts just labor i got a dyna pack something or other....the kid has a throw out bearing but no slave....

the TO bearing comes with a new slave cylinder
and it must be the exact one your transmission needs, they changed the design a few times

the TO bearing comes with a new slave cylinder
and it must be the exact one your transmission needs, they changed the design a few times

where in colorado are you...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All over the Denver area, however I have about 5 trucks to fix currently including two of my own

Back