I have a problem after changing the plug wires on my 1997 4.0L Aerostar. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a problem after changing the plug wires on my 1997 4.0L Aerostar.

The OTC high voltage tester saved the day today. My wife's friend had a check engine light with a P0301 code. The tester showed 6 KV which is very low. The spark plug was dirty so I cleaned it. The tester still showed low voltage. I followed the tester up the spark cable until I found the area where there was a crack. The cable was damaged so the plug didn't get enough spark energy.

I will keep this in mind for future work. I let the van rest for a day because I am still minding my wounds. Took it out and seemed to have a little more vim and vigor on acceleration. It seemed noticable. Maybe its a psychological effect of of replacing the wires, who knows. I've posted a new issue. I had hoped that the temp dependent condition would be resolved by changing the wires, but it didn't happen even though I found a bad wire.

Be certain to use only double-platinum plugs. Our EDIS systems eat anything else very quickly. The HV polarity is reversed on one bank, so metal transfer is opposite of what you'd expect. I just got caught on this myself (story is here). Autolite APP103 for double-platinum plugs for our '97s with 4.0l.

Back