• Register Today It's free!

I love broken transmissions!?!

dec322

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer
I just took my ex in to the transmission shop. He said that there is metal chunks in the pan and he recommends a rebuild. Thats 1400 to 1700. My father in law thinks maybe I can get a transmission from a junk yard. I know that the tranny's in this gen. ex. sucks so is there any other tranny that will fit into my explorer?? Its an automatic.

Also what questions should I ask about the rebuild?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok....i just called them and the guy said its not metal chunks but its flakes and shavings. I always thought this was kind of normal but he doesn't think so. I asked what all the rebuild includes and he said that it includes all new electrial stuff and torque converter. He said they go the whole nine yards and would even include a transmission cooler. I thought it had a transmission cooler (isn't it in front of the radiator??).

Some X's came with the coolers, others did not. I don't know where it's located on a first gen. What type of warrantee is he offering with the Tranny?

When you get a rebuild

They start with a gasket/seal kit. To that you can add clutches (3), steel plates for them, bands (3), intermediate and OD servo pistons, vacuum modulator, overdrive adaptor washer, thrust washers, and torque converter. To these you add the failed parts which are likely on the OD section. It may seem strange, but a lot of clutches and bands don't have a lot of wear and many cheap rebuilds just have a seal kit and the defective parts replaced. Thats just fine if you are not really hard on a transmission.

If you pull the transmission yourself, it just seems a shame that you don't try a minor rebuild yourself. If you have an OD problem, this is a cheap quick no brainer and doesn't take any special tools. There is no reason to put a lot of money into a first generation X.

So what does it do/not do? Many hard failures can generate a lot of fine powder. Sounds like he is offering a pretty good rebuild. You just have to decie if you want to put that much into it.

the problem is that it isn't shifting. I have to let the accelerator up for about 5 seconds before it shifts and even then its pretty fishy. I replace the vaccum modulator but it didn't do any good. The explorer has 139,000 miles on it but it runs great!!!! I've kept up with all the fluid changes and stuff. I don't mind to put the money into it if it really needs it. I hate being at the mercy of a mechanic I don't know!!!!!

Try this...

I have the same problem. Get your Ex up to about 35 MPH after you've let off the gas to get an upshift. Then pull the shifter down into second. Now rev the engine. If it revs and feels like it's in neutral, your second gear is going out or is completely gone. That's what mine's doing.

I first thought it was a delayed upshift from first to second, maybe a modulator problem or something like that... what's really happening is that the tranny is skipping over second and shifting from first to third gear; at least that's the diagnosis from a local trans guy, and it seems to make sense, based on the test.

What type of warrantee is he offering with the Tranny?

Its 6000 miles or 6 months.......unfortunately I put six thousand on in about 2 1/2 months.

The transmission guy told me the problem is the shavings/flakes in the pan are being sucked up into the transmission and this causes it not to shift.

He said they go the whole nine yards and would even include a transmission cooler. I thought it had a transmission cooler (isn't it in front of the radiator??). [/B]

In my x, the cooler used to under the truck. I didn't even know that I had one until the transmission went out and the shop said that the cooler was caked over with mud. The shop went and moved my cooler up in front of my radiator.

As far as your tranny goes, that is very common with the 1st gens. I have had mine rebuilt twice in the past 18 months.

So tell me

A good test of the transmission is to manually put it in (1) and (2) and see how it operates in each. These two tests will give a good indication where the failure is. If it over revs in (2) then it is likely the intermediate band is bad. If you have been a good boy, it might be only the servo piston which is leaking that you can get at on the side of the transmission. Visable damage to this piston more likely indicates that the band has snapped. This causes the piston to bottom out and tear a section. You could also loosen the lock nut on the intermediate band adjustment and see if the bolt turns in about 2 turns before it locks. That would tell you if the band is still attached. I wouldn't recommend doing it though.

A good test of the transmission is to manually put it in (1) and (2) and see how it operates in each

THere was no difference in shifting in either one. I'm just going to let the shop rebuild the tranny.

As far as your tranny goes, that is very common with the 1st gens. I have had mine rebuilt twice in the past 18 months.

If this is the case with mine.......I'll be pisssssed!!!!!! It should not go out that soon.....Should it??? Twice in 18 months?!? That's crazy. I think I'd ditch it! Or ditch the tranny mechanic!

[If this is the case with mine.......I'll be pisssssed!!!!!! It should not go out that soon.....Should it??? Twice in 18 months?!? That's crazy. I think I'd ditch it! Or ditch the tranny mechanic! [/B]

The first time was up in Williamsburg. The place that did it this time said that pieces were left out and things put in incorrectly.

Hello everyone, My 94 has 172,000 on the original transmission. For the last 50,000 it slips real bad and has no reverse, only when it is cold. Once I reach the proper operating temperature everything seems fine. I have been wanting to talk to someone who knows transmission. Opera, you seem to know what you are talking about. Also I am not afraid to try a rebuild myself. In fact I am keeping my eyes open for a junk a4ld I can practice on. So Opera what is the problem with my trany.

slim

Back