I need the 00m12 but I have a ? about it. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need the 00m12 but I have a ? about it.

Gt In Detroit

Reaction score
City, State
shelby, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
I have been suspecting that I need to do the 00m12 kit, but since its been getting cold its more evident, on start up the truck will surge and almost stall, and I have a rattle until the truck warms up.

I was told by a ford tech that the 00m12 was for highway speed rattle that can be heard going by a wall and such, but on the board here it sounds like what im getting. I can only hear it at startup and is perfect once warms up.

But my question is I located the rattle to the back of the motor right by the trans bell housing, it first I thought it was a cat but that is not the case, and it looks like in the write ups on the board here that the front chain tensioner is replaced in the kit, will that help the rattle in, what sounds like the back, or is there another tensioner for the back chains, or am I hearing things and reading to much into it and just do the kit and be happy..

Tks
jim

Bump, and Ill rephrase, pretty much what im looking for is, I think my noise is coming from the back chains, will the cam tensioned in the kit help my rattle.
And those that has or had the rattle where does the rattle sound like its coming from.

jim

There are two chain tensioners. Search for the threads about "chain tensioner" and "cam cassette" they will have most of the issues and part numbers. I replaced all of the front stuff, with the front end all off.

My front tensioner was okay, it had been replaced before, but my rear one was bad. I replaced both tensioners, the front cam cassette, jackshaft chain and tensioner, and my 4x4 balance shaft tensioner. Try to have what ever you do, completed in one job. Good luck,

Back