• Register Today It's free!

I saw a mythical Explorer today!

Pendarus

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4X4 XLT 4 Door
I have heard they exist but I never believed it till today. This morning driving to work I saw a familiar Explorer on th I5 south in Irvine Ca. This particular X is a 95 limited light blue that I see in traffic from time to time, but never close, always a few lanes over and 5-10 cars in front or back of me. Today it was right next to me! I never really looked at it before, but I noticed it had the liftgate and taillights of a 94. I got closer and looked it over really close. It is a 4x4 with TTB front suspension and auto hubs but the interior (what I could see, mainly the dash) was the same as a 95. It has the normal 95 front end and does not look patched together or modified. I think this must be the mythical 95 built from the last remaining 94 running gear and frames. It is totally stock and in very good condition.:confused:

What does everyone think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Next time try and get picks:D

for sure get pics. that must have been a wierd thing to see.

intresting
maybe it was a accident beast of an explorer from ford? heheehhehe

The problem is I see it maybe once a month, and I don't own a digital camera. It is true! I saw it!

I would flag it down but the lady driving it got nervous and speed away when she noticed me looking at it!

Yes they do exist....I have seen some Ex's with bench seats too!!!

Also try spotting Explorer's with no rear wiper or defrost....rahter rare but once you spot one you will start to see them all over.........

Ford did weird stuff like this.....they sold 90 BII's with 8.8 rear axles, D28 TTB front axles and MAS 2.9L's too.

It;s like they just used up all the left over parts until they were gone........

I agree with 410, you see all kinds of mutants if you really pay attention. All for part of the 91 year the explorers came with line a dana 28 I think it was... and yeah, some came with bench seats, some even came with 4x4 floor shifters! LOL.

iF YOU FREQUENT THE JUNK YARDS YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU WILL FIND. Brett and I found a 80's something Ranger that somebody had dropped a 93 4.0L in....hahahaha we rapped the wiring harness for like $10.

You see all sorts of weirdo factory combo's

My old 92 had a floor shifter 4x4 no rear defrost or wiper,or cruise control,not even tilt steering:(

Originally posted by 410Fortune

I have a 95 with bench seats. Same as what my buddy has in his 97 Ranger.

Mines a 91 with dana 28 manual lockouts and the manual fourwheel shifter.

can you post some pics of the bench seats?

i want a front bench seat!!! ;)

Fishman, Email Brett Grooms......he has a bench seat from a 91 for sale right now.........

Originally posted by 410Fortune
I saw on also, I went to the beach with a bunch of people one day and walked past a 1st gen Explorer Eddie Bauer that had a bench seat in front, I did like a double take thinking my brain played a trick on me:confused: . There was no center console or anything, just a leather bench seat going across with Eddie Bauer embriodered on it, probably was a custom job as that was the only one I've ever seen. Don't really know why you would do that, especially on an Eddie Bauer but......to each his own:)

Back