I tried to Replace the ball joints but... Please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I tried to Replace the ball joints but... Please help!

bikeboarder

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane,WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer, 92 XLT
Today I wenet to Napa and bought 2 lower ball joints, and a napa gold oil filter(They are on sale, less then $3). After my arguement with the cleark about what dana axels the explorer has;) i went home and tried to do the job.

I have already replaced the rotors and hubs so i already knew how to remove the wheel berrings and everything. I removed the 5 nuts that held on the spindle. I used a block of wood and a big hammer to get the spindle off.
This is whare i got stuck.

To help me i used this: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/BallJoints.html
This is whare i got confused.

Step 6. Remove axle through hole in steering knuckle.

HOW? there is no picture. I took off the snap rings anyway and tried to hit the upper ball joint to push the knuckel down but it is stuck. I need help. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

once the spindle is off you just yank out the driver side and on the pass side take the clamp off one side of the axleshaft slider boot and pull it out also.only two joints? you should do them all while its apart.i used a press to get mine in and out without hurting them.

ok so i bought the uppers this morning. it makes sence to replace all of them. Do i replace the clamp with a new one or reuse the old one? i just found out that my U joints are shot as well so can someone please send me a link to a how to thred on front u joint replacement? thank you.

somthing to think about is - I sometimes go down to the library and look at the reference car repair section. Lots of good DIY repair book in my libary that can be checked out.

Nothing beats haveing a book with lots of pictures in the garage with you as you are trying to figure it out.

Oh yea - Autozone loan a tool program - that's where I got my press. Done my three times (seem to blow every 50k or so) on my '93 Explorer.

ball joints

You don't need a press....

Freeze the ball joints for a few hours, and heat the beam a little just before pulling the ball joints out of the freezer.

They'll slide right in.

Ok, First off thank you for the tips.
2nd, I finished the passenger side ball joint(PITA). I still need to do the drivers side when i find time, but feel like it will go smooth.
3rd, I TRIED to replace the front center axel u joint today. I removed the clips and attemted to push it out using a 1 1/8 inch socket and a heavy C clamp thing that has a nut insted of a handle. I tghtened that thing down as tight as i could and it dident even budge. what am i missing? Do i need to take appart the diff and take it to a real press? can i do it with it on the truck still? As well as i can remember this is how i did the rear one, so i am stumped.

Thanks again for the help.

Back