I wanna add remote start - go with factory system or aftermarket? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I wanna add remote start - go with factory system or aftermarket?

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
Been looking for a remote start to cool down the X on the hot florida days.

I would really like to keep the factory key fobs. Is there an aftermarket system that will let me retain the lock, unlock, hatch and panic functionality but also let me start the vehicle by pressing a combination of buttons?

Any suggestions?

I found a factory alarm/keyless/remotestart sytem on ebay and the part number matched that what was shown on http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com
I was looking Remote Start, Remote Keyless Entry, Vehicle Security & Siren
Part Number: 2W7Z-19G364-AA
MSRP: $278.19
was on ebay for $150 but I didnt bid. Still unsure if this is what I need.
I think I'll need the Key interface too. My X is a 2004 with the key chip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry I will be no help to you just wanted to say I'm in the same shoes.
I did figure out you also need a PATS override, dunno what it's called but it's also listed on the fordaccessories page. Regardless of OEM or aftermarket, you will need one. It basically emulates a key for the ignition system.

I'm eyeing the Audiovox 2-way starters, and yes you will only need ONE keyfob (theirs), it will operate the doors, etc..

My only problem with OEM is the range (150 feet...? give me a break)
Audiovox claims 1400 ft range WITH confirmation on the fob.

But I don't know how much trouble is installation OEM vs. aftermarket. I hate screwing up wiring.... and I usually do :)

just go to best buy and have them install the viper system. it's about 400 bucks, and it's GREAT. i put it in the last explorer i had, had remote start, hit the buttom, windows cracked, a/c was on full.

just find a couple of places in town that do stuff like that. that'll be your best bet.

Been looking for a remote start to cool down the X on the hot florida days.

I would really like to keep the factory key fobs. Is there an aftermarket system that will let me retain the lock, unlock, hatch and panic functionality but also let me start the vehicle by pressing a combination of buttons?

Any suggestions?

I found a factory alarm/keyless/remotestart sytem on ebay and the part number matched that what was shown on http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com
I was looking Remote Start, Remote Keyless Entry, Vehicle Security & Siren
Part Number: 2W7Z-19G364-AA
MSRP: $278.19
was on ebay for $150 but I didnt bid. Still unsure if this is what I need.
I think I'll need the Key interface too. My X is a 2004 with the key chip.

I don't know about the hatch since my truck doesn't have that on the fob, but I have the Ford system, and it has lock, unlock, start, and panic on my '05. It works great as long as you have a good battery in your truck (mine didn't like to start using the remote when I had my old battery and it was real cold).

The problem with an aftermarket kit is this: you'll be disabling your PATS system, which is a great security feature. If you use the Ford kit, it interfaces with the PATS, so you hae both remote start and the extra protection of the PATS.

ford factory units are made by code alarm buy one off of ebay then talk to your dealer to find out who they have do theirs get a number and call him(her)$50.00 to 75.00 good install price

can anyone confirm the range of the factory starters?
are they really frustrating? I usually have about 100-150 feet distance through SEVERAL WALLS.

I don't know about the start signal, but I get about 300 feet with the panic button. (Got disoriented in a massive lot, so I just held the button until it went off... worked well)

Best I've seen personally on the remote start is about 100 feet, at my old job, through an interior wall, a small warehouse full of crap, and a 3-foot-thick concrete exterior wall... pretty impressive for a little thing powred by a 12v battery.

The battery has a lot to do with it... the battery in my main fob is starting to die out, so I don't get as good of range now, but when the battery was good there was no problem with range (do you really need to be able to start your truck from a quarter-mile away?)

Viper alarm/starter will keep all your remote features and it's a good security investment. I'll be getting one possibly next week. Not sure about the price yet.

just go to best buy and have them install the viper system. it's about 400 bucks, and it's GREAT. i put it in the last explorer i had, had remote start, hit the buttom, windows cracked, a/c was on full.

just find a couple of places in town that do stuff like that. that'll be your best bet.

The Viper 5301C is 499.99 with basic installation included at best buy. I have recently added this to my 02x and I love it. It is all in one and with a few extra add on modules it will do the back hatch/glass and pretty much anything else you ask it to. I have that module and the module to remotely turn my heated seats on. But I guess it was really worth it to me being as I work for best buy. Anyways check it out.. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...viper&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1188561245745
:D

I got an 02 ex....installed a code alarm ca-630 remote start unit... installed by the same guy that installed the same unit in my boss' f350....for my ex he hooked it up so when I unlock the car and hold down the unlock button for 3 seconds the back hatch glass pops open....autoalarmpro.com has the unit in stock for about 180$ as I remember...good thing is they prewire the alarm for your particular car...can't go wrong there...remote start distance is great...my car could be parked across the ave or around the block and it starts...pm me if you got any questions

Get autopage RS-900 or RS-1000. I got the 900 off of ebay for 170. It is one of the best 2 way's you can buy.

Who is everyone talking too? That post is from July... the alarm is not installed yet? I have the factory in use currently... it does everything it needs to, horn, lights flash, etc... What, you all don't have factory alarms? The viper does the same, nothing special.

Back