i want a v8 and im sick of the search button | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i want a v8 and im sick of the search button

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

z5** im into a moderate challenge that will get m e more torque/power/less stress on trans and has a v8 sound. among a lot of other things but those are my main things. and i want to do it just for expirence and to say i did as well.

i originally looked into a 302 swap and A4LD buildup. but as ive researched ther is not a plethora of optiones for that auto.

your saying a ford 302 small block would "dropin" to the explorer and bolt up to a z5 and the x5 would fit into the drive train. thats the best/easiest combo for a v8/manual swap

Check out this thread. He is basically asking the same as you.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9329

No matter what you do, remember there will be modification. Rad will have to be relocated, heater box will have to be notched, motor mounts will have to be fabricated, trans linkage made to work, (shifter linkage), either transfer case adapter or using full size case with custom driveshafts.

Unfortunately, there is no write up for a "this is how to do it" because there are many ways to do it.

At this point, if you are serious, you WILL either have to just dive into it or like many others, as myself, do many searches and save lots of info and images.

ya i realize that.. thanks for the link. your against the t5 for the record?

what year did thouse trannys come out of because i think the only thing i can find is a 4 speed and i would really love a 5 speed

'88 - '96 F150's
Search car-part.com and you'll see many.

Yes, Dora...the T-5 wouldn't bolt up to a Ford v8 in its current configuration. You'd at least need a Ford bellhousing. I don't know how the CJ-7's T-5 is with shifter either. The input shaft could be longer/shorter, wrong spline, wrong diameter etc.
You could maybe just drop your whole assembly, engine and all into your Explorer.

in my sig I converted a 93 4.0L & A4LD to a 98 5.0L drivetrain with 4r70w

This was in a Bronco II

There is alot of information in there that will pertain to your 93 Explorer and how to fit the SBF in there, even if you dont use the GT-40p 5.0L and OBD-II computer much of the conversion will be similar to what you are looking at doing

The 4.0L OHV makes about the same power as the F-150 5.0L you are thinking of using. I have seen the F-150 5.0L conversion done many times and the end result is a stronger tranny, not a more powerful drivetrain, thats alot of work and $$$ for just the same power.

The goood news would be you now have a 5.0L under your hood and the sky is the limit on how much torque and power you can get a 5.0L to make

yeah i realize i would need to convert the bellhousing. but im thinkin in terms of $$$ and the fact that i hav that t-case and tansmission (newly rebuilt) sittin in my jeep on the side of the house is convienent. i understand the shifter would need to be fab'd too. but it looks like prety much any shifter will need to be fab'd somehow

FWIW I used a C-6/Dana 20 combo on my 84 Ranger. I only have a 2" BL on it and everything went together pretty well. The adapter for the 20 was pricey though(Advance Adapters=800.00,) and it had to be the 31 spline output shaft from the tranny, but like I said it worked pretty well and its bulletproof(not to mention a Atlas will bolt right in;)).....

ok i found some motor mounts on http://www.landlproducts.com/list.aspx?Mode=List&cID=2&scID=108 i was wondering if they will work for me the listing says for ranger and broncoII but im thinking that the ranger is the same as the explorer if i am not mistaken i belive i will be using the stock f150 t case however not looking forward to cutting a hole in my floor. also i saw that i need a front drive shaft out of a 1998 f150 im wondering if this will work because the guy i got the truck from said that it was so tall that he needed to get longer drive shafts.

P.S. it is because of all the help i got here that made me buy the elite explorer package thank you all again for all the input.

hey on a side note i heard from a local 4x4 shop here in town that my explorer came with a 7.5 rear end or a 8.8 rear end and i was wondering how i could find out which one i have there is no diff tag and i cant find any other numbers any others is there any way i can tell by looking he said there was a way to tell but he was very vague with his discription.

My understanding is that "ALL" explorers had the 8.8. The 7.5 wouldn't hold up to the extra weight of the 'sploders.....

thats kinda what i thought i guess ill just order the rebuild kit and hope that it all fits

Back