i would get stuck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i would get stuck

went to busch's wildlife in missouri a few weekends ago to drive around - off the gravel road. there was a fresh rain so it was pretty muddy. i backed into a spot where i though wasn't deep - i checked it before i went in. turns out there was a drop off a little ways in. back end was 2 feet below water and with no extras on my X for off-roading yet, my chances of gettin out were very slim. I tried everything - rocking it out, diggin, puttin sticks under the tires -anything to get some traction. i called the wildlife's office thinking they'd just bring a truck over with a rope to yank me out. 10 minutes later a cop comes by and threatins to write me a ticket for going off the gravel roads. He made me call a tow truck - he wouldn't let my brother pull me out with his truck. the tow truck wenched me out and charged me $60 bucks. I had $7 dollars on me and no credit cards. well he let me go without charge so i got away - costing me only the embarassment. Now if I want to four-wheel i've got to stick to my dad's farm where we run the willy's jeep.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ROFL, man you got lucky ;) I live right by there, those guys are pricks out there at bush. Good to see someone else in the area that likes too offroad with an X, where at in st louis do you live, will have to go mudding some time :D I know a few places around bush to go mudding, one really good spot but like bush it aint legal but still safer than bush.

Not to be criticle, but you were driving off road in a State Operated Wildlife/Game preserve, that has signs posted everywhere. You have nobody to blame but your self. You were very lucky, if you had been issued a ticket, it would have been very exspensive (at least $200) plus you may have lost your right to use Bush's again. The worst case, you could have lost your truck, seized by the state, $1000.00 Fine and 60 Days in Jail.

Use your head man, doing stupid things like that cost all of us 4x4's. I'm a little older than you, so I can remember when I use to wheel all over St. Charles County. Now there's only a few spots left and they will be gone soon, mainly do to abuse.

I love to 4x4, and I do it when ever and where ever I can, but we have to do it responsibly or we won't be doing it.

Remember if the land ain't your's, it belongs to some one else, and if you don't have "Written Permission" or the "Owner" with you, you are trespassing. If its State or Federal Property and in some cases City Property you can loose your vehicle for Trespassing plus a fine.

I know, I'm one of those dam pesky Cop's that ruin your day when you screw up and ruin it for the rest of us.

WOOHOO , another one in my area :D yeah bush is pretty bad but I can't give him trouble I did the same thing but chalk that up to being young and stupid ;) where at in st charles are you, I don't think I have ever seen your x around and I must say it looks good :thumbsup:

Hey just noticed your selling the x, what are doing that for thing looks good!

I'm near 94 and Kisker Rd.

Selling it: I've had it for 5 years, it's the longest I've ever owned a project vehicle, sooooooo it's time for a new project. It's loaded and in excellent shape, even has a new engine with only 10,000 miles on it. It's listed in truck trader. If you want more info, give me your email address and i'll send it you with pic's.

I wish man I just dropped a load on tires winch and all other kinds of goodies for my X but by the looks of it I don't think you will have a problem selling it, on another note i'm right up the road from you in muirfield subdivision on pitman hill, I can't believe i'm never seen that thing around :confused: you ever go off-roading some time hit me up I would love to go with ya :thumbsup:

I'll let you know next time I go. I live in Hunters Pointe Subdivision off Central School Road on Fox Pointe.

I've have a lot of interested people look at and several that said they would buy it, but so far nobody's come up with the money. Apparently it's very hard to finance a 12 year old vehicle, that's worth more than blue book. I guess some day, someone will come up with the money.

Yeah I know exactly where thats at but like I said before as much as I'm out and about around here I still can't believe I haven't seen that beautiful beast, you said earlier that you knew of some places in the area to do some offroading? I don't know of anywhere around here thats legal, me and a small group of people went to that place of winghaven blvd as soon as you pretty much get off the exit, the road that dead ends, man they have some crazy trails back there, supposbley I dont know if you know about it or not but it was land sold that there developing. We got stopped coming out by some ofallon police officers but they were cool as hell, I think some offroaders themselfs.

Yeah, there's quite a few officers in the area the 4x4. There's not many places left for wheeling around here unless, you know some one who has private property that is willing to let you on their propety. Bryan Rd use to be a good area for wheeling, but I'm not sure if it's still open or not. The last time I was out there it was so rutted out you could get around unless you had at least 44's and a V8.

Most people go to St. Joe's State Park. They have pretty good off roading and great mud pitts. The last wheeling I did was in Colorado this summer. Spent a week in the mountains.

Back