IAC replacement??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IAC replacement???

posmindset

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02, Explorer 4.6L 4x4
I have an 02 explorer and when the temp started to drop, it began starting hard and not idling properly, it was idling low.

Took it to autozone and they pulled the code, a p1507 idle air control underspeed error.

After I came back to the vehicle i popped the hood and simply checked the air filter.

WHen i started it, the roblem was gone, started smoothly and it's idling properly, but the service engine soon light is still on.

Does it sound like the IAC valve needs to be replaced?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try pulling it off should just be a couple 10mm bolts and a connector. Spray it with brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner either or worked on mine. take a wire brush small one to get in there and clean the carbon out, then lube it up with a quick shot of WD to keep it lubed up. and reinstall. worked with mine

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try.

Will i need to reset the service engine light or will it go off on its own?

i would go have it reset. im not ENTIRELY sure BUT most toyota's which is what im a tech in, will actually go to a default "failsafe" that lets the computer control this and that so yea id have the light reset afterwards. couldnt hurt worst case it comes back and you need to replace you IAC..

This is probably a dumb question but i want to make sure...

I have some Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner as i cleaned that a year ago, can i use that to clean the IAC valve?

I would think so, but In searching around in this forum and it seems that everyone is using brake cleaner like nine6sploder recommended, not MAF cleaner.

i dont see why it would hurt but i think brake cleaner is a little stronger than that MAF cleaner. to me tho they kinda do the same thing one is just way more expensive to buy hell ive even used brake cleaner to clean the mass air, havnt had anyproblems this far.

ok i cleaned it off, it was a little dirty but that didn't solve the problem.

Should i next try to replace the IAC or clean the mass airflow sensor maybe?

I cleaned the MAS less than a year ago right before i had to replace the coils and plugs

what kind of rough idle is it? persistant miss? unsteady idling? knocking? i would check the basics, like the filter, plugs and wires, check oil too.

what kind of rough idle is it? persistant miss? unsteady idling? knocking? i would check the basics, like the filter, plugs and wires, check oil too.

Lower idle speed than default idle speed, rough, hard to start and keep running/idling. No knocking. The explorer is running on a lower rpm (500-600 rpm).

80% of the time the above description is how it runs, but sometimes, it will start up properly, idle and run properly just like it was new (idle at 750 rpm).

It might run/start fine a time or 2 but then it will fall back to the lower, rough inconsistent idle and run.

Air filter is clean, plugs and plug cables replaced along with coils December of last year. I don't understand what the oil would have to do with this but the oil is fine.

hmm i would replace the IAC after all that and its still doing it... get it from advance auto or napa or the zone hell if that dont fix it put it back in the box all cleaned up and say you didnt use it haha

Poor idle - DTC P1507
For the past week or so, the idle in my Ranger has been lower than normal, and sometimes the motor seemed to struggle to stay running. It also did not seem to idle higher when colder which is something I thought it was supposed to do. Well, today I experienced my first "Check Engine" condition so I hooked up a scanner and code 1507 came up.

I understand that code 1507 is related to the IAC valve. I've read the posts about IACs and related error codes and most times replacement of the IAC valve is the solution. However, before I go out and get a new IAC I am wondering if there is anything else I should do. So far I have:

1) checked all hoses and lines for vacuum leaks (none that I could see/hear);

2) disconnected the wiring clip from the IAC while the engine was running to see if it made any difference in the idle. It did not.

3) shook the wiring clip (while connected) to see if some kind of short or break was occuring (no difference in idle).

that came off of ford-trucks.com heres link http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/103178-poor-idle-dtc-p1507.html

i would also check ur plug wires and make sure they r all snapped on tightly. i have a mustang that threw a plug wire off all the time. have u took a good look underneath? might not hurt.

Not arguein with that but a plug wire most likely wouldn't throw a 1507 code it be more of a misfire cyl # or random cyl. Misfire

Back