How to: - IAC valve cleaning thread (w/pics) | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: IAC valve cleaning thread (w/pics)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Great info gents!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am glad I found this...

I am still cracking up at the "moose calls" designation early in the thread. That's a perfect description for this sound that has intermittently annoyed me for the post three years. As soon as my girlfriend comes home with the truck, I am trying this! I will report back my results as well...

Thank again!

Love this forum! I just changed the IAC in my 99 Ex and impressed my husband and father:)

Ha guys, my 96 5.0 Explorer, revved up at a stop sign after applying the brakes! Had to throw it neutral fast to avoid hitting the car in front of me. The day before this happened, I noticed my idle was high (2500-3000) after starting? Cleaned IAC yesterday, same problem today. Any ideas?

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, I'd give the hoses a once-over around the intake manifold. If you are familiar with the starting fluid trick I'd try that as well. A few short sprays around suspicious areas will rev the engine from idle.

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, I'd give the hoses a once-over around the intake manifold. If you are familiar with the starting fluid trick I'd try that as well. A few short sprays around suspicious areas will rev the engine from idle.

Yeah, I will do that as soon as I can. Never had anything like that happen before. Scared the Living Daylights out of me.
Thanks for the info.

No problem, I've never been a ford guy but I've grown on my Explorer. Keep it running!

No problem, I've never been a ford guy but I've grown on my Explorer. Keep it running!

To be honest, never owned a Ford before myself; never wanted to. Friend had this Explorer sitting for about 2 years, trying to sell for his brother. When I saw the miles (90,000) I laughed,but he said its real. Did a Car Fax,and I'll be damned, it was!. Already been offered more than I paid for it (1900).
Just need to get all the kinks out from sitting I guess.
First chance I get, I will try to get a few pics up. :salute:

Iac

No vacumn leaks found.Got annoyed cleaning IAC, just got a new one.
Truck idles beautifully. Thanks for all the help guys.:exp:

Just started to get this same code and put in a new IAC from Oreilly's and still have the same code. But I hear a "hum" from the engine area by the factory air box and when I unplug the IAC the "hum" stops until I plug it back in. I felt around but didn't hear any air hissing just the hum from the air box area. Any ideas?

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Ha guys, my 96 5.0 Explorer, revved up at a stop sign after applying the brakes! Had to throw it neutral fast to avoid hitting the car in front of me. The day before this happened, I noticed my idle was high (2500-3000) after starting? Cleaned IAC yesterday, same problem today. Any ideas?

I know what your problem is, its the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), the same damn thing happened to me and almost got into an accident. It took me a while to pin it down, because when i would turn off (KOEF)the car to check the voltage it would be what I'd expect.

But the day it revved to 3,000 I checked it again and it was almost reading 4 volts!! So I replaced it and never had a problem since

When this thing starts going bad it will randomly rev higher than normal.
I recommend getting the Motorcraft tps from rockauto
Then look up the thread on the tps sensor
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79362

1st of all, its a vent under the black cap and its snaps on, does not spin off. So u have to pry it off. Fyi, so nobody gets confused!!!

Is this my problem?

Hi All,

I see this post has been going on for years! I am a pretty handy female but I am wondering if this is something I can do on my own?

My 2006 explorer sputters and goes down in rpms when I am parked or on the brake. It has died about 4 times when I am at a stop light too long. If I put my foot on the gas it is fine again. No check engine light, looked around for loose hoses.

Should this be my next step? Now that they are cheaper should I just guy a new one, or clean it?

Thanks!

Iac

Cramera, if you are talking about the IAC for a 2006, it is part of the Throttle Body assembly and can't be serviced seperately (unlike my 2001, where it came off).
Can someone with a new model than mine tell us if the iac spring is accessible for cleaning when you remove the entire TB?

Awesome. Got my old 2001 228k Limited purring like a kitten to give to my soon to be driving daughter. Explorer Forum rocks! A couple bolts and some carb cleaner...

This thread helped me fix a problem that my sport trac been having for a long time..very easy fix!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just let it dry and you should be fine

I don't think I disconnected my batter either.
Actually, my IAC continued to whine, and I yanked off the black cap. Instantly, no whine. So I'm thinking the cap gets loose and air tries to get through there causing the whine? I also think that becasue of the video someone put up here about the IAC whining when his hand attpeted to partially seal off that hole the black cap covers.
Thi is so weird.........
Karl

I cleaned mine also, whine continued. Removed the black cap and the whine went away. Put it back on, whine came back. Can't explain why...

Back