Ideas for fabrication shops; how to be taken serious? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ideas for fabrication shops; how to be taken serious?

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
I guess I am just a bonehead; but it seems that when i contact local metal shops they do not take me seriously when it comes to fabricating stuff. I don't know if this has to do with the fact that I am reasonably young, AND I own an '01 Sport Trac.... so I am under the impression that they just figure on a rich kid who doesn't care about funtionality ( which couldn't be further from the truth). Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go in there with a set of plans already drawn up. Maybe even have all the measurements on the plans. Show them the plans, explain how you want it done, and you should be taken seriously.
Remember, no matter who you are, your money is just as green as everyone elses. If you're not taken seriously, take your business elsewhere.

Also, bring along some pics of what you want. Whatever it is you're wanting, (sliders, skidplates, grillguards?) you should be able to find a few pics here to print out.

Plus, find a shop that has done similar work to what you want.

walk in with a bag of dough, that'll help em know your serious. Tough call though... I agree, get your plans as basically done as you can, try to do everything short of buying metal and welding it together.

Yup, it helps to be prepared. At least a good set of plans in your head, some on paper, and maybe some pics if they haven't done it before. However, most towns have a good welding shop that's done some truck accessories before. They'll usually have an album of work that they've done. I suggest you look through that to give you an idea of the work they do and how the finished piece might look after it's made with their "style".

Back