Idle decreases until stall

kiwiford

Reaction score
City, State
San Francsico
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport
Hi,

==Update - Problem Solved== Read post below if interested.

New member here. I was just lurking originally to check out some of the cool audio installs people have done in their explorers... that is until today.

Bought a 2000 2wd 4L Explorer a couple of weeks ago. Apart from what sounds like a worn wheel bearing, it had been great.

Well, today I went and got a spare key cut with no chip in it.(just a dummy key i can take in the surf). Well I got home and thought Id see what happened when I used an un-chipped key in the car. It of course wouldn't start. I then started it straight after with the proper chipped key, and it turned over for a lot longer than normal before starting, and when it did was idling very rough

Ever since then the car has been running terribly when idling. The revs will sit around 1200, then decreases in chunks of about 200 until it gets down to 300-400. Then the cars starts shuddering as it almost stalls. Eventually it then does stall. The revs drop in this pattern 1200 - runs for a while - 1000 - runs for a while - 800 - runs for a while - 600 - starts shuddering. If I give it a bit of gas the revs will settle back to 1200 then start decreasing agian in the same pattern. Other than that its running ok.

The check engine light is now on, it came on well after originally noticing the problem. (I haven't got a volt meter or anything to measure codes) but I did see a posting on here that mentioned you can get a check engine light for low ideling, and that IAC valve could be the issue.

Anything else to check?
Is it possible the unchipped key has had an affect on the computer settings?

Thanks,
Brett

OK, well, after posting this. I found a whole lot of info on hear about the IAC Valve in this thread on this site
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84220

Someone mentioned on there about a vacuum worth checking. Bingo. Car now idles like a dream.

The reason it happened after trying the chipless key?
Well, had just backed the car into the garage, which drops down. That bump must have knocked off the tube.

Awesome.

Back