idle only?? no codes?? what gives?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

idle only?? no codes?? what gives??

navrotsm

Reaction score
City, State
clementon, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xls-4 liter
short version: 2000 explorer xls with 4liter OHV -4wd. 5speed stick. will start right up and idle at 900-1000 rpm. touch gas pedal and it either stalls or stutters. replaced MAF sensor, throttle position sensor and idle air control; same result--idle only. replaced fuel filter--same result. replaced fuel PUMP (wadda pain in the arse!)--same result. checked---no vacuum leaks. how can it start right up and idle so smoothly and nothing else?? with no fault codes?? I'm at a loss!!
long version: engine has run flawlessly for last two years!! even with check eng light on. code for MAF sensor. couldn't find one at local pull-and-pay so put it off till last week. ran fine. installed new maf from rockauto and erased code. ran same--fine. next day code came back on?!! ignored. next day. drove to work, no problem. coming home from work, engine wouldn't idle. wanted to die below 1500 rpm---like fuel starved. got it home with lots of revs!! went out hour later, started right up but had very rough running. new code for IAC. replaced with new. still rough. next day went out--started right up---idle only!! took off air intake rubber to see throttle plate--was dirty--cleaned with gumout. runs same with air intake on or off. checked or vacuum leaks. found one hose off valve cover. replaced--runs same--idle only. replaced throttle position sensor--same. small exhaust leak at "donut" but nothing else wrong underhood that I can see. still just idles!!! I'M AT A LOSS!! and going a lil crazy!! ANY IDEAS??? am I missing something stupidly simple??? thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be that the injectors are stuck opened...maybe...

thanks for reply, fordgreen. I think if injectors were stuck open, it would flood or be reving real high. in "tech tips and tech" I saw a post by firewolfm stating the same idle only problem with a '94. his problem was collapsed catalytic converters!! on his suggestion, I disconnected my cats from exhaust pipe and started truck. you guessed it----LOUD idle only!!!! now I'm at a loss again!!! H E L P!!!!:(

I'm stabbing in the dark here......connector/broken/corrosion on wires? It really sounds iac/maf. Maybe re-seat ecm module connector?

thanks dono. i'll give them a try tomorrow and report back here. thanks again.:banghead:

Hey, Welcome to the forum!

I hope we can help you with this.

Back