The Storm Chaser
Reaction score
City, State
Agawam, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Interceptor Utility
Callsign
WX4FUN
Just out of curiosity, what would a dealership charge for IDS programming?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just out of curiosity, what would a dealership charge for IDS programming?
This would likely be best answered by a dealer. I would guess that they would likely be a minimum of 1 hour's labour plus whatever they are requested to program. There have been charges shown that do not always seem to be consistent.

Peter

Depends on what is being programmed. My local ford shop had a heck of a time getting remote start working, and I was charged 2 hours at 90$/hr. A rip off IMO. Bought my own VCM tool and have done things my self since. But I've heard some shops only charge half the hourly rate as well. I think it depends on who is doing the programming as well. Someone more experienced will not take as long to do it.

Thanks guys. I look into getting the program myself but the price is ridiculous.

Depends on what is being programmed. My local ford shop had a heck of a time getting remote start working, and I was charged 2 hours at 90$/hr. A rip off IMO. Bought my own VCM tool and have done things my self since. But I've heard some shops only charge half the hourly rate as well. I think it depends on who is doing the programming as well. Someone more experienced will not take as long to do it.

You bought a IDS Tool?......man you're serious.

OK next time I drive down the I5 to my AZ house I'm stopping by for a full IDS reprogramming!

I called the dealer today and they wouldn't give me a straight answer. I plan on adding a few things once it comes in. If I have to pay an hour per update I'm better off just getting a license for IDS.

Agreed...over the life of the car, if you plan on having it for a few years, it's awesome to have and perform updates, modifications, physical upgrades and TSB's with, provided you know what you're doing.

http://www.amazon.com/Quality-VCM2-...TF8&qid=1453484833&sr=8-1&keywords=ford+vcm+2

Would something like this work ?

I have heard good and bad about the knock off clones. Personally I would never chance my $40-$50k vehicle on something like that and definitely don't recommend using it on other people's vehicles. If you want to take the chance on your own vehicle that is your choice.

Also be aware the hacked IDS versions are not current.

Thanks
Any decent DIY IDS tools that are affordable , have any links ?

Thanks
Any decent DIY IDS tools that are affordable , have any links ?

No. Unlike the VW/Audi environment where VAGCOM/VCDS is available from Ross Tech and used heavily in the after market world.

The American manufacturers have a pretty tight lock on this market.

Back