• Register Today It's free!

I'm low on refrigerant.... right?

ediller3

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt 4x4
A/C doesn't blow cold at all. I bought the A/C manifold gages from Harbor Frieght and tested the system. The outside temperature was about 90 degrees. The low side gauge read 20 to 55 psi as the compressor cycled on and off. A complete compressor cycle was about 10 seconds. The high side pressure gage read 120 psi. The line on the low side of the system never got cold but the high side line did become hot. I believe this means I need refrigerant. Would I be correct?

Also does anyone have instructions on how to add refrigerant using the A/C manifold gage.

Thanks for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Simply add one can and seee if it gets cold. If it does there's obviously a leak somewhere.
How many miles you got?

Yes your system is extremely low...

Frankly I am surprised the compressor clutch actually cycled at all with the little refrigerant in the system...

When did the system last work probably? Can you determine where the leak is and do you need to fix that problem first before adding any more refrigerant to the system?

As far as adding to the system... check out the forum at www.aircondition.com and do a little searching over there...

thanks for the info. The A/C last worked last summer. I'd bet there is a leak. Going to add the dye refrigerant to see if I can find the leak.

I edited the gauge pressure readings in the orginal post. Wasn't thinking clearly in the summer heat.

The dye is hard to see with small leaks.

It's usually best to just replace all the O-rings, lubed with some mineral oil of course.

Back