I'm new here, how do I use a 4x4?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm new here, how do I use a 4x4?!

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific Grove, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Really! I've never owned a 4x4, multiple diffs, transfer case, hi lo...

First, what should I check/ inspect before trying my virgin 4x4?
How and when should I use which gears or switches?
Is off-road tire pressure the same as on-road for Stock setup?
What does my sunguard sticker mean about transfer case engaged? When is it and when isn't it engaged?
Bonus might be details about my drivetrain so I know what to expect in rain, dry, emergency situations? Meaning do I have LSDs or open and what type of locking are they (1, 1.5, 2-way), is there only rear ABS 'cause my light is on, and is a transfer case an LSD or a piggy back tranny or both?...

I just bought the 1992 Explorer XLT. It's an automatic on the pillar and has two buttons on the center of the dash. I use the automatic in D around town and OD in highways. The lights on the dash for the two buttons are off. The light for "Rear Antilock" is on but flickers. I've also had a friend say 4x4 on pavement is tough on a drivetrain and could blow joints. So I don't know and can't afford to just try stuff.

First, I asked at Ford and they said each vehicle is different and mines too old to get the data easily. They said ask the previous owner. I asked him and he said he only tried it once and couldn't explain. So, I searched the Forum 'how to use 4x4' and results tell you it ignored words like 'how' 'to' and 'use'. WTF!?! Haha!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Click the "How To" in my signature and you should find some answers...;)

Like your friend said, don't use 4wd on dry pavement. Save it for icy, dirt or gravel road conditions. To put it in 4 hi push the 4 hi 4wd button. Same to take it out. Has a lag so be patient. It's better for the 4wd system if you are at a stop when switching in and out. At least don't be applying a lot of throttle when engaging it. To go into 4 lo you have to be at a stop. You might have to be in neutral. Might have to have it in 4 hi first also. I can't remember. You'll figure it out. 2 buttons. Use 4 hi for hwy driving. 4 lo is good for off roading as a general rule. 4 hi can be also if you are going faster. Leave your tires inflated to normal presure.

Thank you Tbars4 for pointing me to the encyclopedia. I found How to engage 4x4 and How to troubleshoot 4x4 problems.

Thank you Nitro71 for providing answers about the tire pressure and an attempt at 4x4 engagement. You put “Use 4 hi for hwy driving” but highways are paved, so what do you mean? When it’s snowing maybe? Can I use 4 hi when it’s raining?

I find nothing about an inspection... Really? Just put it in 4x4, nothing will brake no matter what is old and has been unused for ages? You guys aren’t hungry tow truck owners are you?

A generic transfer case is explained on wiki.

So, what kind of transfer box and differentials do I have? I’m looking for open, 1-way LSD, 1.5-way LSD, 2-way LSD, HTD, VLSD for both front and rear. I’d guess open or 1-way LSD up front and a 1.5-way or 2-way LSD in the rear. This affects how I plan to react during emergencies, so please help me out guys.

What kind of transfer case do I have? I’m looking for Chain or Gear, indy or married... But I don’t really need to know.

Hmmm, stickers missing on a 17 year old vehicle is probably normal. I don't have a sticker on my rear diff. I can see outlines of missing stickers on my DS door. I do have the one sticker with GVW, etc. So I'll put some info below in case one of you knows how to decipher it.

VIN: 1FMDU34X5NUD02670

TIRES: 15X7 @ 26PSI

WB: 112
TYPE-GVW: U34W
BODY: FG
TRANS.: T
AXLE: D4
TAPE: S
SPRINGS: WU

...You can use the search function or look thru stickies here...You will find a lot of your answers that way...;)

I have found out enough about my drive train now except that I don't understand the term 'engaged' in relation to my transfer case. When is it engaged or disengaged?

I would really like to know what to inspect or test before trying my 4x4 button, if anything

push the 4wd hi or 4wd lo button, the light comes on, it's engaged and works. No light = no engagement. Engaged means power to the front driveshaft
Running in 2wd happens anyway = power to the rear drive shaft only. T-fer case not engaged

I can't think of anything to *inspect* before hand. You try it, works or it doesn't. IF it doesn't work, you then inspect, the interior of the shift motor and on down the line of diagnostics
I guess you could pull the auto hubs off right away and see if they are loaded with grease (they aren't supposed to be). If they are you might as well clean then (as per that thread you read?) since that's a common cause of 4x4 not working.

You put “Use 4 hi for hwy driving” but highways are paved, so what do you mean? When it’s snowing maybe? Can I use 4 hi when it’s raining? Snow, yes.
Raining, don't.

Just find yourself an approved open field (non-crop, non-trespassing) or a dirt road and push the button. If your worried about exploding something then stop first and then push the button. Not likely to hurt anything by the way. The light will come on, or flash. Start driving and when everything locks in together you may hear some clunking, clanking, or otherwise metallic noises, but they'll stop. If the light was flashing it will stop once all the locking and shifting is done. The light stays on, and now you're in 4x4. It's no magical beast, it's no highly complicated sophisticated machinery, and it's not as delicate as you may think. Just go for it. Driving it on dry pavement is not good and can blow out joints like you said. Think low traction surface. Gravel, dirt, mud, snow, ice.

The 4x4 on the Explorer is really rather basic even though its 'electronic' and 'automatic.' Just like any other car you have an engine and transmission from there the power goes into the transfer-case. In 2wd, or 2hi as it sometimes gets called, the transfer-case just passes the power on to the rear axle un-modified. In 4wd, or 4hi, the power goes into the transfer-case where a gear has been engaged in the transfer case that sends power out to the front axle and the rear axle. In 4hi the power comes out of the transfer-case (driving both axles) at the same speed as it did in 2hi.

Now in 4wd low range, or 4 low, the transfer-case runs the power through a series of reduction gears that multiplies the torque but limits speed. Low range is really only needed for serious off-roading.

The reason you shouldn't use 4x4 on surfaces where you have lots of grip is because when you make a turn in a car all 4 wheels travel at different speeds. Once you engage 4x4 the front wheels are being driven at the same rate the rears are. That is fine for straight driving but as soon as you add steering input the drive shafts/axles will bind and try to jerk the wheel out of your hands. This is why you need to be on a low grip surface to drive with 4x4, since turning with it engaged requires one or more wheels to slip, or have the transfer-case allow slippage which is how AWD cars deal with this problem.

Also please note that the tire pressure has been revised after the roll-over BS of about 10 years ago... Recommended tire pressure is 32psi now.

Here's nitro's tried and true recipe for trying out the dangerous 4 wheel drive system:

First drink a six pack of beer, gets you ready if it grenades and you're feeling bad about the $5000 dollar repair bill.

Now you gotta find a suitable place for testing this out. Neighbors flower garden is looking pretty good after that six pack.

Once in the flower garden, you won't have much time as the local po po is probably rollin hot for your location, you gotta reach down between your legs, you know like the Van Halen song and grip tight. Then push the 4wd button. After bout 3 seconds it should glow and you are now ready to tear those flowers up. I say give err some serious gas and make some ruts in that flower garden. On the way out hit any small fences for bonuse points.

Now on the way out hit the 4wd button as you are going onto dry pavement which we all know is bad to use your 4wd drive on.

That's how you test it out!

:) LOL! Great and thanks guys. I now know what I have and how it should be used. Bad news is, the light didn't come on at the button or on the dash, 4x4 didn't engage and I almost got rolled by po in a flower bed! Don't worry, I didn't use the neighbors... the community garden is kinda mine to! Anyway, I found and printed the diagnoses sticky for 4x4. I'm surprised the first thing to check isn't fuses. I wanted to check those, but mine are just hanging there and the cover with the decoder isn't MIA, so I don't know what's what. I need to locate an FSM. Also, I have become aware of other issues of higher priority to take care of before worrying about getting the 4x4 to work. Like power steering whine, fuel tank whine, tranny fluid leak... Ah, the joys of a money pit!

Sweet. Hey nitro. I need to test my 4x4. Mind if I use your yard to test it? I know it works great burt I like your idea.

Feel free to use my yard. I'm moving at the end of the month : )

Power steering whine could just be low fluid.

With the 4x4 light not coming on, there are instructions somewhere here about getting that reset. May not be fuses but the 4x4 computer needs resetting. In the back there is a panel that opens up, it has the rear wiper fluid container but also has the 4x4 computer. All I had to do was unplug mine (may take some effort, I had to spray WD-40 to loosen mine a bit) Start the vehicle, shut it off, plug it back in) Lights came on for me and engaged into 4x4. Hopefully this will work for you.

Back