importing spares from USA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

importing spares from USA

chrisExplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Hi All,
I have been looking on the Rock Auto website and there is a load of things I would like to buy and bring accross (New leaf springs and air shocks for 2) However Im worried about the duty to be paid. Does anyone know what percentage I will have to pay to our esteemed gov or is it as random as my research suggests?....

Cheers
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chris, don't know offhand what the import duty is, but technically it is only waived if the duty itself is below £7. Don't forget the dreaded VAT, which I think is on not only the goods value, but also the shipping cost as well.
Richard

Hi All,
I have been looking on the Rock Auto website and there is a load of things I would like to buy and bring accross (New leaf springs and air shocks for 2) However Im worried about the duty to be paid. Does anyone know what percentage I will have to pay to our esteemed gov or is it as random as my research suggests?....

Cheers
Chris

I would suggest you budget for 20-25% of your purchase to be charged. This is assuming 15% VAT and an estimate of 5-10% customs duty.
I used to buy quite a bit from the states when I owned a Jeep and although the customs fee was significant it was still much cheaper than using a UK dealer.

SS

i payed 50 quid import tax on a ecu gadget thats cost 200, but at the time of this ressesion its not a good deal for you, for the drilled/grooved racing brakes i bought was 250 in october, now i would imagine that being 320 or poss more, iv got afew things to buy but waiting on the ressesion to settle.

Gear!

It really is very hard to get stuff in from abroad for the Ex- almost never worth it in the end with all the added costs! Such a shame- thats when our skilled members here like Kevin P- who made the shackles for us are valuable- Imagine the cost He saved every one of us by making the shackles!
I dunno- we need a container load to beech someplace and a heads up on where- b4 the old bill can stop us getting there!

Thanks for the replys everyone. I wouldnt mind paying the duty etc as long as I knew how much it was for etc.... Its a shame the gov dont have a website where I can put the figures in and it works it all out for you.

Never mind.
Chris

Dont forget the post office have their handling charge on top aswell, and if its sent priority mail from the US then it will go through parcel force when it gets here and their handling charge is like £12 !!!!!!!

Hi,

I will ask the freight forwarder that i use on Monday what the duty etc would be and will post back whith tere response.

Andy

chris have you got 2 throttle sensors?

ahhhh wrong chris sorry i meant chrisquelch lol

Hello,

I have just spoken with our freight forwarder and he has told me the following: -

Duty is 3.5% and is paid on the value of the goods and freight
VAT @ 15% will be added to everything including any charges for onward delivery to the end point.

He has impoted goods before for another car company/shop if you would like any futher help he is happy to advise, PM me if you want his contact details.

Andy

importing from USA

hi i just got gearbox filter and gasket from rock autos cost £30 all in came in 3 days by fed ex. and yes i do have 2 throttle sensors have sent pm. cheers Chris

Hello,

I have just spoken with our freight forwarder and he has told me the following: -

Duty is 3.5% and is paid on the value of the goods and freight
VAT @ 15% will be added to everything including any charges for onward delivery to the end point.

He has impoted goods before for another car company/shop if you would like any futher help he is happy to advise, PM me if you want his contact details.

Andy

Thanks for that Andy,
So if my sums are correct then, I buy something with a value of £200 I end up paying the gov an additional £38.00 on top plus any handling fees from Parcel Farce/ Royal Fail.

Cheers
Chris

hmmm wondered if small parts shipped would be exempt from Duty and VAT if there were shipped as a "gift"?

As howard said, Gifts are upto $50, you could also try get them to put "commercial sample" on the customs form and you wont have to pay any duty, HOWEVER, Americans seem to be sticklers for not bending the rules and shipping as a gift or a sample saying its a federal offence, mail fraud etc etc

Ill be over in the US next week for a couple of weeks if anyone wants anything picking up and bringing back i can do with pleasure however a set of springs and shocks is a bit much for the suitcase,lol:)

fcat, can you bring me a reconditioned gearbox back in your hand luggage?:D:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeh i'll just tell customs i went to Miami and brought my friend a gearbox back as a gift :)

Back