• Register Today It's free!

Infamous Flashing OD Light

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
2003 Explorer 4x4, 49k miles, today the infamous OD Light blinking started on me. Was on the whole way home from work then stopped once in the driveway.

Called the stealershop for an appointment to have the code read this Friday ($90).

Anyway, depending on the severity of the problem, was wondering what you all thought of the following places (if you even have them locally) for a repair if stealership is too expensive.

Cottman Transmissions?
Aamco?

I also have a small mom and pop shop I will look into as well.

The truck started shifting a bit weird yesterday and the engine would rev higher than normal at times before a shift. I was actually expecting this light to start yesterday. Does anyone know if I can get the code read ahead of time at a parts store perhaps? This way I'll have an idea when I get to the dealer and they try to shove it up my arse!

Finally, in everyone's opinion, everything that I've read on here, once this type of problem starts it's all downhill from here on out. Has anyone ever gotten a repair on one of these tranny's that lasted and worked? What kind of cash am I looking at for a rebuild?

I'm hoping it's just some servos bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, DAT. I called them and the guy told me he doesn't know if his equipment can read the tranny codes or not. I'm going to stop by tomorrow and find out.

Does anyone know if there is a full listing of fault codes anywhere on the net for Explorer tranny's?

they all have the same reader and it will read any transmission codes.

they will also give you a print out if any codes show up. my guess you will have the p0775 at least and possibly incorrect gear codes along with it.

What do you think, DAT, should I just let the dealership handle the repair? I don't mind paying a little bit more. I just want the repair done right and not happen again.

hey man, I had the same thing in my 04. I opted to have it rebuilt by AAMCO but as I write this its back at AAMCO having something fixed that the screwed up. If I were you and you wanted to do a rebuild, I would talk to various transmission shops and see if they actually know what they need to do to properly rebuild a tranny of a third gen explorer. They are pretty finnicky but if you have a good rebuild done then you should be able to run that bad boy past 200 k. and as for cash. I paid around 3k for a rebuild. but my tranny was messed up. bad. I took it to a mom and pop place and they had it for a while before they said they couldnt fix it and dont know why

Why Not Buy Rebuild?

Three thousand bucks for a "rebuild" is rather questionable, IMO. I bought a Ford Reconditioned for $2200, and got a 36,000 mi./36 month warranty. Presumably, when Ford Authorized rebuilds, they go beyond fixing/replacing the problem parts only, right? How else could they offer a better warranty than the others I priced?

I installed it myself, thus, no labor cost, however. A half-day job, if a guy is equipped for it, and experienced, so my guess on labor would be $500 - $700.

Just my 2 cents. imp

Three thousand bucks for a "rebuild" is rather questionable, IMO. I bought a Ford Reconditioned for $2200, and got a 36,000 mi./36 month warranty. Presumably, when Ford Authorized rebuilds, they go beyond fixing/replacing the problem parts only, right? How else could they offer a better warranty than the others I priced?

I installed it myself, thus, no labor cost, however. A half-day job, if a guy is equipped for it, and experienced, so my guess on labor would be $500 - $700.

Just my 2 cents. imp

yeah questionable is not the word I would use for it. They quoted me at 1800-2200 bucks. then I get the bill for almost 1000 more. they needed "unforseen extra parts"

OK, guys, need a final opinion. I had the tranny rebuilt by a local shop. Final talley $2400. They rebuilt everything internally using all new Borg Warner parts, rebored the servo thingys and replaced the aluminum 'whatevers' with brass. They also replaced the torque convertor with a rebuilt model.

Tranny is shifting strong and smooth now.

Obviously, my question is with the final tally. Too much? Good price? Let me have it!

I paid like $1900 or $2000 for tranny rebuilt on my Mustang with the 5r55S (bored out, new servo, etc), but NO torque converter....The local Ford dealership I go to gives me 10% off parts/service for everything. They also let me bring in my own parts-that could save you some money if they allow you.
They botched the job, but fixed it correctly without a whimper (and bled my brakes for free).

Back