joefnh

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Callsign
KA1DGB
I have a 2003 Explorer 4x4 4.0L with 165k and today it began flashing the O/D light.

The tranny has been services with Amsoil fluid, a Wix filter, Fords friction modifier and clean the pan out every 50k; I do a complete flush using 12 quarts at that time per AL's writeup.

With today's issue I did not notice any shift problems, it was smooth and all gears except the final OD did not work. At 60MPH the tach read ~2300RPM as opposed to the typical ~2000RPM

Currently the CEL is not on and my code reader does not show any codes KOER or KOEO

After reading on this site for a while I was unable to find a clear path to troubleshooting this issue.

While this appears to somewhat common can anyone recommend some troubleshooting steps

Thanks in advance, this site has been a wealth of information.

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello I had a 1998 Ford explorer Sport and my O/D light kept blinking. I took it to a tranmission shop and found out that it was the torque converter clutch was going bad. I hope this helped out alil bit. I didnt get mine fixed i just sold it.

The PCM has detected some problem with your trans and it is now in limp mode and it really shouldn't be driven in limp mode. I would reset the PCM and maybe the code will not come back but if it does then your going to have to either find a scanner to pull the code or find a shop that can.

yeah my overdrive off light just started blinking, i plugged it into my computer and it said it was due to the torque converter performance. It also said the torque converter clutch was shut off due to excessive slipping. I was going up and down some pretty steep hills doing sixty five and thats when it happened. I reset the light through my computer and all was well. RPMs dropped back down to normal and mpg went back up. and yes your transmission is somewhat in limp mode now until you reset the code.

Update... I was able to scan the codes and got the code P0741 Can anyone help out with the troubleshooting of this issue. In my reading on this site it seems that it has something to do with the torque converter.

How can I determine if this is the TCC solenoid or torque converter?

Thanks for the responses

--Joe

Update

Today before committing to ordering parts for a VB and an solenoid assembly, I decided to check the transmission oil level, which in these newer Fords is not easy as there is no dipstick (ARRGH!!). To my surprise, I did find that I was down ~ 2.75 quarts. After topping off the fluid I found that this did resolve the OD blinking light issue. I was surprised at this because there were no other shifting problems, just the TC lockup issue.

After a 1 hour test run, I did notice that there was a very small wet spot forming between the bell housing and engine, so it looks like there may be a small leak somewhere near the front of the transmission, possibly in the area of the shaft seal. With the engine idling in park it did drip about once every 6 minutes.

What are the common areas of leakage on these (5R55S) transmissions? and how hard are they to fix?

Thanks again for all the help

--Joe

Well if you are not into transmission removal then take it to an ATRA certified shop and have them look at the leak. And no don't add a stop leak additive.

Joe, a 2003 is 7 years old!!! It's not even close to new!!! Many manufacturers do not supply a dipstick to check the transmission fluid level...they are "sealed". I would degrease the hell out of the underside, then check for the spot of the leak.

Thanks for all the responses to date. As a quick update I did degrease the housing and the signs of leakage had not returned after 2 days. At that point I decided it was time to change the fluid and set the level correctly.

Being in the NH and having no garage, I decided to have the local Valvoline quicky lube use their machine to perform the flush. I brought with me 15 quarts of Amsoild ATF that I had on hand.

After the flush the technician said that he noticed a major leak and that I needed to go right over to AAMCO, and after looking at it, I was a bit concerned but decided to drive it back home to evaluate what was going on.

Upon arrival home after the 3 mile drive, the tranny was soaked with fluid and making quite a mess. I consulted with Glacier on this forum and he recommended that the tranny was probably just overfilled. It certainly was, after cleaning up the outside of the case I had the engine running in park and opened the fill plug on the bottom of the transmission pan. Roughly 1 gallon was removed.

The moral of the story stay away from the quicky lube places for anything important.

I was fortunate that the overfill did not cause any problems. The transmission shifts great and I believe I dodged a bullet. Your right 35Remmy this is not a new tranny... I will have to determine where this very slow leak is that caused the original problem.

Thanks to Glacier, Don (AKA CDW6212R), BrooklynBay and all the others that contributed.

--Joe

Hi, I'm pretty new here, and have a similar situation. Yesterday, I was driving my 2003 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC V-6, and noticed that the O.D. Off light was flashing, so I pulled into a parking lot, and everything looked normal. The revs were normal, and nothing was clearly wrong. I shut the truck off, and re-started, and the light was off. I drove about 10 miles at 50 m.p.h., and everything was fine, with the transmission shirting smoothly, and no light, not sure what's up, so if anybody could help, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi, I'm pretty new here, and have a similar situation. Yesterday, I was driving my 2003 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC V-6, and noticed that the O.D. Off light was flashing, so I pulled into a parking lot, and everything looked normal. The revs were normal, and nothing was clearly wrong. I shut the truck off, and re-started, and the light was off. I drove about 10 miles at 50 m.p.h., and everything was fine, with the transmission shirting smoothly, and no light, not sure what's up, so if anybody could help, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

To help you take the first step towards finding out what might be wrong I will recommend getting the all the vehicle trouble codes that are stored in the computer of the vehicle. It would be best to take it to someone who specializes in transmission repair and let the scan it and drive it. Once you have the codes start a new thread and list the codes that you have, this way others that are familiar with those codes can give you some advice.

In my experience when someone has a flashing OD light and they dont notice any driving issues, the trouble usually has something to do Torque Converter Clutch system (TCC).

To help you take the first step towards finding out what might be wrong I will recommend getting the all the vehicle trouble codes that are stored in the computer of the vehicle. It would be best to take it to someone who specializes in transmission repair and let the scan it and drive it. Once you have the codes start a new thread and list the codes that you have, this way others that are familiar with those codes can give you some advice.

In my experience when someone has a flashing OD light and they dont notice any driving issues, the trouble usually has something to do Torque Converter Clutch system (TCC).
Thanks for the advise, I know where to take it, and will report all findings

The PCM has detected some problem with your trans and it is now in limp mode and it really shouldn't be driven in limp mode. I would reset the PCM and maybe the code will not come back but if it does then your going to have to either find a scanner to pull the code or find a shop that can.

"it was smooth and all gears except the final OD did not work. At 60MPH the tach read ~2300RPM as opposed to the typical ~2000RPM"

Now how can it be in limp mode if it runs as described. Try to give accurate info. Limp mode throws a P2106 code, "Forced Limited Power".

What he's detecting as a no OD shift, is more likely a no-torque converter clutch engagement. This can be confirmed real easy by getting up to that 60 mph, holding speed steady, then VERY SLIGHTLY increase gas pedal pressure. If tachometer suddenly jumps up a bit, the TCC has failed to engage. imp

Back