Info needed about 4.0 L engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Info needed about 4.0 L engine

gotcha

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport Trac 2002
Good afternoon, I am new at this forum. I am living on a small island in the Caribbean. Just bought myself a used Sport Trac 2002, the previous owner started working on the engine ( they took the drivers side head off ) but never finished the job. Car has been in a yard for more then a year. In meantime the left head is gone. So my plan is to replace the engine for a other one from a junk car. My question to members of this forum : What engines can I use ? Only from a Sport Trac or also from the regular Explorer or Mercury Mountaineer ? Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A 4.0 SOHC from another Explorer or Mountaineer will be fine. Because of the electronics you are better to get one from the same year or very close.

or you can go for the best bestest switch and go with a v8 swap!

The 4.0L Mustang also.

Thanks for all this information, but I prefer to swap the engine for the same V6-4.0L, other wise I have to change the wire harness and ECM. That will be a lot more work. I am good with the original engine.

You have seen it ? It is hard to believe, install a V8 and use the same wire harness and ECM ? I am in this business for more then 25 years, but never seen this happen.

Said nothing about a V8, said 4.0L Mustang....V6. stangsteeda put it in his Sport, yea I saw it.When I bought his grille guard.

...and i've been in this business 32+ years!:D

I agree use the 4.0 he was refering to the V8 swap too different comments on seperate posts. Me personally I am waiting for mine to go so I can do the V8 swap.

Is the Sport Trac 4 wheel drive? If it is you may want to check out the balance shaft thread on the forum. If it is not a Mustang 4.0 will work well. The throttle body is different, but you will need to swap the intake anyway.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Back