Intake, exhaust and spark | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake, exhaust and spark

DCider

Reaction score
I'm about to have parts ordered to make the '92 move a bit better. The parts that I'm about to order are:
JBA headers, FlowTech Cat and muffler, HyperTech chip, KKM intake, magnacor wires and Bosch +4 plugs

The goal is to help improve the 4.0L performance and cruise mileage while not making the truck sound like a race car. I am expecting the sound level to increase, but hopefully not too much while cruising.

A friend has a repair shop and can get some of the parts cheaper for me and is doing the work (I work on his computer, he works on my truck!). He has experience with the Flowtech cat and muffler, but I might override and get the Dynomax cat and muffler.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the JBA headers, Flowtech products, and magnacor wires. I have read several posts on the Borla products and they look good, but I would like to do something different.

Any comments on this choice of products is welcome, just don't say follow the pack with Borla! I am especially interested if anyone has any first hand knowledge of Superchip vs. Hypertech.

As far as the Splitfire wires go, I just don't trust Splitfire. No offence to anyone using the products, just my opinion.

Many Thanks!
-D

------------------
David Cider
'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 4Dr

Pending Mods:
JBA headers, hi flo cat and muffler, KKM Air intake, hyperchip, magnacor wires and Bosch +4 plugs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi David:

I really recommend you the magnecor ignition cable sets (8.5 mm KV85)and the Bosch platinum +4 spark plugs.

KKM air intake system is great

Instead of Hypertech try the Superchip, In my opinion Superchip program better modules.

I don´t know much about FlowTech Cat and muffler but I have a Maganflow Cat and
muffler and I really enjoy the sound and the performance.

--------

Robert Gomez
1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer
4.0L SOHC 4x4

Superchip, Magnaflow Cat-back, KKM Air Intake system, magnecor ignition cable set (8.5mm), Bosch +4, K&N Oil filter, Mobil Tri-synthetic, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Pirelli Scorpion Zero Tires (285/55/R18), Antera 301 Wheels (18x8.5).

Pending Mods:

Boston Acoustics RX Series Speakers, Precision Power Amp (6 channels), Cd Changer, JL Audio Sub, PAC OEM 1 converter.
and a air lift kit with load controller.

Hi David,
Robert's right about the Superchip chip. the Hypertech module works at wide open throttle, thus not much help. When you buy the Magnacores, please post your comments, as I am thinking about getting them myself. Dead Link Removed As far as the JBA headers, they are the only maker of headers for the SOHC engine. That to I would be interested in your comments, when you get them. Are you getting them coated?

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

I just ordered the KKM Air Filter, superchip and magnacor wires. My friend is ordering the JBA headers (silver ceramic coated if in stock), Dynomax cat and muffler and plugs. Hopefully everything will be there either Firday close of buisness or Monday morning.

I'm taking the advice on the superchip vs. the Hypertech. A few other posts and the Kurtz Kustoms peopl seems to indicate that the Dynomax is the quetest of the free flow mufflers. I'll take a *maybe* 1 hp loss for a quieter muffler.

I'll post any info on the upgrade and possibly some pictures. I hope there are no hiccups to the installation.

------------------
David Cider

Pending Mods:
JBA headers, hi flo cat and muffler, KKM Air intake, hyperchip, magnacor wires and Bosch +4 plugs

Forgot to mention, it looks like truckperformance.com has the cheapest price on the JBA headers, better than my friend can get as a dealer! *VOLUME DISCOUNTS*

As an FYI to a preveous post, JBA is not the only header manufacturer for the exporer (at least my year). Borla, JBA, TFX and Headmann also make headers for my year. When I was orginally talking about headers to my mechanic friend, he was leaning towards the Headmann headers. He has talked with a few of his parts contacts/tuners and indicated that the JBA's were in fact the way to go. As I said before, we trade services and he makes no money off me on parts or wrench turning. I don't think he thinks the ceramic coating is worth the coast, but I had the same coating on my Honda CBR600F on the Kerker system I had and thought the coating was the greatest thing since sliced bread. We'll see...

-D

------------------
David Cider

Pending Mods:

Currently the JBA headers are on back order and aren't scheduled to be delivered until 4.15.00. The KKM air filter went in as did the magnacor wires and a set of Autolite double Platnum plugs and the superchip.

There has been a recent problem with the truck that has caused the truckto run rough to not perform as well as it should have. The new parts did not solve the problem. After some troubleshooting, we found that the cat is bad. We are also found that the computer is spitting out a bad ec memory error code. This may be caused by the superchip. We will call tomorrow. Looking forward to replacing the cat and muffler.

Until the bad cat is replaced, the current mods are for the most part, unrealized gains.
-D

Hi David,
Im sorry I thought you had an SOHC. You are right. You have much more to choose from then those of us with the SOHC. Dead Link RemovedStill looking forward to you comments on the JBA's

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

D-Did you look into BBK headers? Summit quoted me $420 for a set of these along with Jet-hot coating for my '91. How much were the coated JBAs going for? When I checked out the truckperformance site, they were over $500 which seems a bit steep to me. More info would be greatly appreciated-thanks in advance.

Sorry for taking so long to get back. I got back from my sabbatical (when I originally posted) a week ago. I was gone for 6 weeks.

The JBA headers did not come in yet. They are back ordered and scheduled to arrive 4.15.00 or there abouts.

Getting the headers from my friend at his cost is a few bucks more than the truckperformance web site. I had him order them before I knew how much they were on the web Dead Link Removed

It seems that the volume discounts on the web tend to hurt the speed shop guys. For the do it yourselfer, the web is the way to go. Had I known how much before, my friend would have had me get them off the web rather than through him.

We finished up fixing/mods a little over a week ago. Work done: oil/filter change w/ Royal Purple synth and Car Quest Red B1A filter, new Car Quest (Dyna) U-joints for the drive shaft, KKM installed, Magnacor wires installed, Double Platnum plugs (Autolite I think), SuperChip installed, New O2 sensor, OEM Hi-Flo DynaMax muffler, Hi-flo CAT.

My friend ordered the wrong CAT from DynoMax so the muffler guy installed one for a 7500lb vehicle. He didn't say which one. The CAT that was on it had also went bad and needed to be replaced. I picked the right time.

The new U-joints were needed BADLY! Best $28 dollars spent!!! Dead Link Removed Since the U-joints were replaced last, it was hard to tell exactly how much of an improvement the other mods made.

I could tell that the KKM made a difference as well as the SuperChip. Each made a significant difference. The wires and the plugs were replaced when the KKM was installed. What I did notice so far is that the highway gas mileage dropped .5 to 1 mpg on the initial trip back home and around town has suffered likewise. The around town mileage maybe more due to me enjoying a bit more performace. Dead Link Removed The highway milage may get better as the computer adjusts everything to the new parts. I'll try to take a mileage reading just before the headers go on.

It was a bad time to have to switch to 92+ octane. Dead Link Removed

I'm looking forward to getting the headers installed and I will post pictures when that happens.

-D

Looks like the headders came in a little while ago. I won't get a chance to get to my friends shop for a little over a week. This should give me time to find a place to get a dyno run in before the install.

I'll keep you posted.
D

------------------
David Cider
'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 4Dr 4...

Current Mods:
Hi flo cat and muffler, KKM Air intake, SuperChip, Magnacor wires and AutoLite Double Platnum plugs

Pending Mods:
JBA headers, 4" Suspension Lift, Tires & Wheels

Back