• Register Today It's free!

Intake O-Rings

Drg racr

Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 2WD
What color did ford use for the O-rings on the intake of the 4.0L OHC? I took the intake off my parts truck and it had red O-rings but they looked to be in good shape. I've seen one installation with blue O-rings. I didn't know if the aftermarket used a different color.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford changed the O-rings design from thin to thick when they switched from the Job 1 to the Job 2 SOHC engine. The ones in my late production '01 Sport Trac were grey (or perhaps off-white) and appeared to be original. IDK what color the OE O-rings were on the Job 1 engine, but I know they're quite a bit thinner and tend to leak once they age. The thin and thick O-rings are not interchangeable (different intake manifold).

Gotcha. Thanks

Why did I laugh out loud when I read the words "from job one to job 2" because the motors are painfully expensive....

Why did I laugh out loud when I read the words "from job one to job 2" because the motors are painfully expensive....

I don't know why you LOL'd. That's how the engines are differentiated. Job1 was 1997-2001, Job 2 was late 2001 on. The long blocks are identical, but the intake, oil filler cap, valve covers and PCV valve location are different.

I laughed out loud because that was the commercial Ford had going in my time about job 1 and when it came to 4.0 SOHC quality design was not job 1 or 2. I used to think it was a well designed motor until the chain thing happened to me and I only say this because of the in-serviceability of the rear chain, the rest of the motor is actually a very good motor but they need to put all chains up front like the rest of the domestic car manufactures, and to this day, they do not. The laugh was also one of nervous pain caused by the expenditure. I also did not know that is how they were differentiated by Job 1 and job 2 for there engine's so please don't take offense for the LOL, it was more of a "making light" of it all.
Robert

I laughed out loud because that was the commercial Ford had going in my time about job 1 and when it came to 4.0 SOHC quality design was not job 1 or 2. I used to think it was a well designed motor until the chain thing happened to me and I only say this because of the in-serviceability of the rear chain, the rest of the motor is actually a very good motor but they need to put all chains up front like the rest of the domestic car manufactures, and to this day, they do not. The laugh was also one of nervous pain caused by the expenditure. I also did not know that is how they were differentiated by Job 1 and job 2 for there engine's so please don't take offense for the LOL, it was more of a "making light" of it all.
Robert

Oh, I wasn't offended. I just didn't understand your comment. Personally I don't make any bones about not liking the SOHC design. GM has proven that you can still get good power, reliability and fuel economy out of an old fashioned push-rod design. Adding complexity usually just leads to less reliability and increased maintenance costs. Putting the right-side chain cassette in the rear of the engine was just a bad idea. If both cassettes were accessible from the front of the engine replacing timing chain components would still be a nascence, but it would be something I could live with.

Thanks, I agree about the old fashioned motors back in 2000 my friend Jay bought a new Chev Suburban and was getting 23 miles to the gallon with the push rod while the explorer was still getting 15-18 highway. I just love the style of my explorer, and until late, the reliability. I have a love for these things I probably should not but if anything else happens to this motor I am definitely putting a ford push rod in but I would hope that this will last for the rest of my days. Here's hoping!
Robert

In my 98 XLT, the upper was black, and the lower was grey

The new ones, the upper are some orange - tan color and the lower ones, are blue

Mine were both black and replaced with a kind of red/orange color

Back