Interchangeable/compatible overhead consoles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interchangeable/compatible overhead consoles?

Mr. Alligator

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT Explorer
For the past several weeks, my overhead console temperature and compass displays have been intermittently flickering on and off… there are many Forum threads and YouTube videos about needing to re-solder loose “510” resistors on the internal console circuit board. So another Project arises.

Took my console off. There are two models: one with a sunroof, and one for no sunroof. Ok, that is easy. But after disassembly, it was immediately clear that there was also more than one design for the circuit board. Mine had no “510” resistors and nothing on the circuit board seemed loose or visibly damaged, except that the display for the console had several dark spots. My circuit board had a black case; apparently the white cased circuit board is more common. There were very subtle internal size and shape differences inside the consoles as well.. The external housing for the units was the same. Hmmmm….

Figured I would try to obtain an overhead console from salvage from a 95-01 Explorer with a sunroof. But there were a lot of different wires in the unit, and each style might be different. I hoped to maintain this feature, as it was good to know both outside temperature and direction of travel. Hopefully the result would not include confused electronics or blown fuses.

QUESTION: Would the different style overhead console units be ”plug and play” compatible with each other???

ANSWER: Yes. The different style circuitry from the salvage unit (98 Mountaineer) plugged easily into my existing harness connection, and worked flawlessly (after recalibrating the compass, but this info is also readily available.).

There are at least two different circuit board styles for overhead consoles in the 1995-2001 model years. They are plug and play compatible! *Just make sure that you get the sunroof v. non-sunroof distinction, as the attachment brackets are slightly different. And make every effort to obtain a housing color that matches your vehicle interior.

Good luck And drive safe.

E21C39B2-CD53-4FA8-B8B1-5B49A3FC9F90.jpeg 0232FE68-5CAF-4373-A889-AF5A7D1C9C2D.jpeg 01218ED6-78A4-4BBC-8450-8991736FA0DC.png

Back