cheap fix for faded 4-door posts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cheap fix for faded 4-door posts

Ever notice the finger-stained, pot-marked, greyish door posts on yours or other 3rd gens?

before.jpg

I thought about it for a while (ok...years) and decided to 'touch up' what seems to be a common problem. Turned out much better than I thought, so thought I'd post. The key is to use black bumper coating...it's forgiving, fast drying and fills in any imperfections from the original coating. It also leaves a nice satin, dull finish - just like stock. Not a high gloss sheen.

wet.jpg

result.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice.

looks good

Pretty common mod on this site and well worth it it appears. I need to consider it some day. Nice job.

ADDED NOTE: Originally, I purchased the bumper paint for my WESTIN bull and side bars. Both were oxidized, stained and lots of rust. BTW... do not pry off the side bar logos b/c they won't go back on after and you've got to scrap them. Sand or wire wheel all the surface rust first from around the plastic steps, underneath and any other imperfections. No need to tape off. Just hold a piece of cardboard behind to catch over spray. Spray the whole bar - including logos. Again, this stuff is really forgiving and durable and with the dull satin look I think the bars look better than when they were new with the high gloss finish.

before
2.jpg

after
1.jpg

before
3-1.jpg

after
3.jpg

Back