Intermittent Fuel Problem? - no start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent Fuel Problem? - no start

sehaare

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT 4WD SOHC,94XLT gone
Hey guys,
98 4wd V6 SOHC.

First let me say that I read the FAQ on lowering the tank for the fuel pump and I'm not looking forward to it.

Back ground on the car: I'm the original owner. My daughter had used the car as a daily driver for about 12 month (Taught her to drive a stick and she moved on to a smaller car) the car then was used at most once a month for about 6 months.

I first saw the problem about 5 months ago. With the tank < 1/4 full, I went to start the car and it wouldn't start. The starter turned the engine but it wouldn't start. (I sounded just like when I prime the oil system after an oil change with the fuel pump fuse removed).

I suspected bad gas, so I filled up the tank added gasoline anti freeze (for any possible moister), some fuel system cleaner (couldn't hurt) and changed the fuel filter for the first time. After that the car started and ran fine. (I'll also pulled the engine codes and had nothing). I ran through about 2-3 tanks of gas and kept adding fuel system cleaner and had planned on changing out the fuel filter again.

About 4 weeks ago I was using the car as a daily driver for about 2 weeks and it ran fine. Then it set parked for about a month.

I tried to start it 2 nights ago with < 1/4 tank again and it would not start. I added about 5 gallons of gas and it started first try. I drove it to pick up something 3 blocks away drove it home and the next morning it would not start. I added enough gas to get it past 1/2 a tank and it still wouldn’t start.

I'm afraid that there might be rust in the tank, from the car not being a daily
driver, plugging up the intake to the fuel pump. Is that possible with the fuel pump design for these cars?

Is there any know problems with the gas tanks or fuel pumps on these cars?

What would be the best way to check the condition of the inside of the tank?

What would be the best way to drain the tank without using the pump?

I plan on changing the fuel filter again first.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I had planned on moving my daughter to her dorm room with this on the 18th so I'd like to get it running reliable before that.

Considering that I have a dead line should I just punt and take it into ford and let them do the work?

Thank for any advice in advance

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump - no suggestions?

You have some options, It just sounds like you don't have free time. Your post has some questions that may be considered personal choices that would be hard for me to answer.

I can say that you will save a lot of money if you do it yourself. If you have tools, some skill and can set your mind to it, then I don't see a problem.

It doesn't require the highest level of skill but may require some free time without interuption.

Thanks for the reply,

I've done a lot more difficult things on my other car before (engine swap, tranny swap) so I pretty much have any tools that I'm going to need (I think). I have two worries one is that I don't want to go through the pain of pulling the tank if that is not the problem. The second is that I don't want to just replace a fuel filter to only have the problem return again.

So After I replace the fuel filter what would you guys recommend as a next step.

Thanks again
Steve

found out that the fuel pressure is bleeding off after it sits for a while. Can start it by cycling the key on/off.

started new thread on fuel pressure bleeding off.

The fuel pump has a check valve. Over time it can corrode or get crap on it. Mine does that. After sitting it has a hard start. A few cranks. I know what it is and I'm going to drop the tank and replace the pump "just for that".

Back