Intermittent rough idle, limp home mode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent rough idle, limp home mode

lilo419

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
I have been having trouble for well over a month with my 04 Explorer. To provide as much detail as possible, the problem began when starting the truck after it was parked for an hour on a slope towards the driver's side-not a steep slope, just a noticeable slant. Upon starting, engine shimmied and sputtered. Reversed, placed in drive, limp home mode enabled me to get home-20 minutes, 2 miles. Wrench light was illuminated but NOT check engine light. Restarted once home. No problem for a week, UNTIL I parked in the same spot in the same lot. Same problem initially, but upon restart, no limp mode…car was fine. But only for a few days. 2 days later, wrench appears AND check engine light, initial limp home mode then NO power at all, engine still ran. Turned off ignition for a minute, restarted, no problems at all. A few day later, same issues all over again. Codes are P2110, P2100, P2107, P0122, P0223. Mechanic drove the car w/no problems until he hit a bump-then had identical problems above. He pulled over, disconnected battery, all was fine. Parked it for an hour, he drove it again and it went into limp mode 3 times in 10 miles (each time, he got out, disconnected battery). Pedal/throttle assembly replaced, throttle position sensor replaced. No wires appear to be corroded/chafed upon his visual inspection. PCM replaced, but no scanner to reprogram, so old PCM replaced and no problems AT ALL when driven by mechanic-about 10 times over the past 2 weeks, mostly after dark for an hour or so, complete with stops and starts. Today, first time I ventured to drive it, mid-day (and I replicated his driving, since he thinks I drive like I'm associated with NASCAR), car was fine for 2 miles, I parked, restarted w/no problem after 10 mins. Drove another 4 miles, parked. Restarted an hour later-very rough idle, as if it would die any second. Moved into reverse, forward, reverse again, extremely rough idle as if about to die, limp mode engaged, wrench and check engine light illuminated, turned off, restarted three times. No change. My car is now sitting in a parking lot, miles away for the night, OR until he wants to retrieve it. Any thoughts?

To be blunt, you need a new 'mechanic.' Look for an automotive technician. Just sounds like a lot of shade tree part swapping took place. At this point, if I were you, I'd find a reputable repair shop in town and take it to them.
No offense meant.

Back