Is it all carboned up?

JamminG4Jim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Near St. Paul, MN.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I bought my '94 X from a person who bought it new and NEVER exceeded the speed limit during his 90K worth of miles he put on it before I bought it. It now has 93K on it and has always seemed sluggish. Idles and accellerates good, just doesn't seem to have the power it should. Cleaned the MAF sensor soon after I bought it (2.5yrs ago). New plugs,etc. It runs ok, but I wonder now if 90K miles of never going over 55mph might have deposited a lot of carbon on the piston heads?

I bought a can of seafoam yesterday. Think It'll help?

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It may help, run it and find out ;)

90K worth of miles he put on it before I bought it. It now has 93K ..... I bought it (2.5yrs ago).

Holy crud! I bought a 93 Sport and put 40K on it in 1 -1/2 yrs.

Heck even the 91 Sport I bought in February I bet I have put 3,000 miles on it. You must really never drive this vehicle.

Or work/school is @ home ;)

Originally posted by AlaskanJack
90K worth of miles he put on it before I bought it. It now has 93K ..... I bought it (2.5yrs ago).

Holy crud! I bought a 93 Sport and put 40K on it in 1 -1/2 yrs.

Heck even the 91 Sport I bought in February I bet I have put 3,000 miles on it. You must really never drive this vehicle.

It spends most of it's time either in the garage or on the trailer. I am fortunate enough to have other vehicles at my disposal. My job supplies a truck, etc. Biggest hassle is parking space for all of them!

Maybe lack of use has something to do with it being "Gutless"...???

Jim

It could be just the gear ratio. If you have 3.27's I bet it will feel sluggish. Does it have CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS? That means is the computer a Cali Emissions program. If your code printed on the PCM says "UMP1" then you do, and that robs a little.

Originally posted by Rhett Browning
It could be just the gear ratio. If you have 3.27's I bet it will feel sluggish. Does it have CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS? That means is the computer a Cali Emissions program. If your code printed on the PCM says "UMP1" then you do, and that robs a little.

4.56's and lockers front and rear installed last December.
No cali emissions. Minnesota car. No rust,either. But then I guess I'd actually have to DRIVE it in the winter to get any salt on it!! :0)

Going to roll it out of the garage tomorrow and hook the front sway bar back up so I can go out and beat the piss out of it after doing the Seafoam treatment! I gotta print out that post about how to do it first!

I apprecieate all your responses! Thanks!

Jim

Originally posted by JamminG4Jim
I bought my '94 X from a person who bought it new and NEVER exceeded the speed limit during his 90K worth of miles

That's kind of hard to believe. But hey, try flooring it and see what happens. It might get rid of some cobweb under there. ;)

Re: Re: Is it all carboned up?

Originally posted by X-factor
That's kind of hard to believe. But hey, try flooring it and see what happens. It might get rid of some cobweb under there. ;)

I know what you mean. I found out AFTER I bought it that his driving habits where so law-abiding! It's either carboned up or the CAT's plugged (JUST thought of the CAT)....If the Seafoam doesn't help I'll get the CAT checked. Borla Cat back from the cat-back!!!!

Jim

Originally posted by JamminG4Jim
No cali emissions. Minnesota car.

Jim, you can have a Minnesota car and still have California Emissions. My truck has been in Missouri its whole life and had California Emissions. Evidently, Ford shipped cali emissions vehicles to non-cali states; Ford probably did not know where the vehicle might end up, only that it was in a batch that could potentially be sold in California.

Back