Is it hard to change front CV axle on AWD? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it hard to change front CV axle on AWD?

Okay well I'm back now... I had the tranny, transfercase, and both diff's done since it was time for the others anyway... Plus the T-Case was free when I did the tranny and both diffs... But the thumping still persists... So it looks like I'll be ordering a new CV axle soon...

But hey at least all my fluids are fresh...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I found to be the problem...

Well, here is my update.

I found that the front CV axle was not the problem. Even though the sound comes from the driver's side wheel area.

One month ago, 1300miles ago, I had this problem that sounded like the CV axle was going out. I took it to a Midas shop, they looked it over for free. The informed me that the front axles were fine and showed me the noise was from the transfer case area. Ok, I then took it to the Ford house(big mistake). They informed me that the transfer case was messed up and they wanted to replace the unit. About $1900 total bill. I told them no. I could find another t-case cheaper than that. They wanted $1450 just for the t-case. I found one for $850 new. So in the process of finding the correct t-case, I had picked up the t-case from the Ford house, along with the driveshaft going to the front diff. I had to show the parts place what the output shaft looked like on the 97+ part.

So I got curious one night and decided to take apart the t-case and have a look inside. What I found was, nothing wrong. This is where I got mad at the Ford house. Just some gears and a chain inside. Everything looked A-OK. Or at least to me it did. So I concentrated on the other part I had, the driveshaft. On the front end, it has a u-joint and on the rear where it attaches to the t-case, it has a CV joint. It did not move as smooth as it should be and even would bind up. I took the part to another Ford house and they agreed that the unit should be free flowing when moving it in any direction. So we ordered a new driveshaft. This fixed the problem for about a month or 1300 miles.

Now my CV popping sound had come back. So I decided to take a look at the stuff myself. Not really wanting to pay the Ford house another $389 to be a 'parts changer'. I took the t-case out and it looked fine. I had taken the driveshaft off, but didn't really pay it much attention, I just replaced it, it should be messed up. After the t-case looked ok, again, I turned to the driveshaft and it was not smooth anymore. It was binding up as before.

So maybe I got a bad unit from Ford, it happens. They are going to replace the driveshaft. 12,000 mile or 1 year warranty. But will this fix my problem? I wasn't so sure. I don't want to replace this thing several times till I get a good part.

There is a shop in town that sells a replacement driveshaft for this vehicle. It has the u-joint at the front as it should, but they have changed the CV joint to a u-joint at the rear as well. It is a custom made piece that bolts up directly to the t-case and all. I don't know if the local shop actually makes this piece or if they order it from some where. They had it in stock.

I have put this peice in the vehicle and the problem has gone away. Now, only time will tell if this is better or not. Most people say a u-joint is better than a CV joint. I do know that the u-joints are a whole lot cheaper to replace.

Sorry this post was so long, but I needed to let everyone know what my problem was, incase you are having the same problem.

So, if anyone needs a new driveshaft, I have a new one in the box from Ford. I am willing to sell it. I paid $170 taxes and all.

Or, if anyone needs the number to the shop where I got the custom replacement, I can send that to you.

Can you give me the info on the driveshaft that you have??? Is it complete from end to end or do I have to use my u-joints??? I've finally found out the culprit!!! The rear u-joints on the front driveshaft... Can you also give me the information for the new driveshaft with the CV joint??? I may be interested in that instead... Thanks...

Ok, Your tagline suggests that you own a 96 model. If so, and from the info I collected, the 96 to 97 models they changed the design. The transfer case on the 97 and up has a different output shaft going to the front. It requires a driveshaft that has a CV joint on it. This is the design they use all the way up to 2001. So if you have u-joints you would have to change the shaft to use the newer style driveshaft. The 96 uses a setup with u-joints on both ends. I found that the problem with mine was the CV joint on the driveshaft went out. I thought no problem, it has 85k on it. I bought a new one from Ford. It lasted 1300 miles. The CV joint went out again. So I found a place that changes the setup to have a u-joint on both ends, like the 96. Their thought is that if it goes out its only $10 a u-joint to fix. Ford would not refund my money on the part, but they would replace it. So I have a part for a 97+ model. Brand new.

In your case just buy new u-joints.

Well I took the front driveline to a shop and they said that the driveline was fine... They packed a bit more grease in it but that was it... He said the U-joins were still nice and tight... But the round plate on the front of the T-Case that the driveline bolts to has some play in it... After talking to stadx2 and the tranny shop I've been told thats supposed to be rock solid... So I guess a new T-Case is in order!!! :( :( :(

Mine has a little play in it as well. The transfer case is chain driven. You can repair the unit yourself by replacing the chain inside. Around $90 from the Ford house. I also can get a new T-case for a 96 for $850. They is a shop here that has one. I was looking at buying a new one till I got brave an opened mine up to have a look. Very simple to repair.

Back