Is My Mechanic Crazy or Am I Paranoid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is My Mechanic Crazy or Am I Paranoid?

TLW

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer
Ok--I posted here last night about my '92 Ford Explorer not going into reverse in 4x2 (but it worked ok when the tow truck driver came to get it the next day, and it worked even better after my mechanic drove it a bit, although he felt that something was wrong initially as well). I got some good feedback on what the problem could possibly be from some of you on this board. Some things that were mentioned were the obvious---that it could be the transmission (my mechanic finally ruled that out) and the shift cable/linkage. Well, my mechanic just called me and said that he checked everything (including the drive case) and his conclusion was that I simply had very low oil and after putting oil in he says everything was fine (by the way, I was scheduled for an oil change last week, but was putting it off until this week:( ) Anyway, long story short, he's not charging me for anything and says I should come get my car. On the surface I'm excited because now I'm not out $1,750 for a new transmission, but on the other hand I'm concerned that he might've missed something and I am going to further damage whatever it is. Can low oil cause a car not to go into reverse intermittently?? I know NOTHING about cars except for basic maintenance so this just doesn't sound right to me---should I get a 2nd opinion?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You said Low Oil , Right? Not transmission fluid? I cant believe low oil would cause this problem , but if it was low enough to actually bind the engine , I guess , but probably not . Was the truck cold in reverse when this happened? Reverse can run as high as 300psi and when the fluid is cold and old you can run into this , especially on a older trans . I would try a fluid and filter change , before you fork out the 1500 to have it replaced.

Yep, he said low oil and not transmission fluid. My car had only been sitting for about a half hour and was still warm when I got back into it to drive when it wouldn't go into reverse (I'm in Los Angeles at the moment--so I'm in decent weather).

Uhhh, No. Low oil has ABSOLUTELY no connection with your vehicle not going into reverse. Low tranny fluid, yes. Low oil, no. Maybe your mechanic meant tranny fluid and misspoke. If not, he's no mechanic and I would find someone else ASAP. If you were extremely low on oil, you would sieze the motor up, and that's not an intermittent problem.

That settles it then, I'm taking my car somewhere else. Will it be ok to drive the 8 miles that I need to go to get to the other mechanic?

Tranny fluid is also a type of oil... I would clarify it with him. He may have just used the wrong terminoligy.

Chris

Is this an Automatic or Manual tranny. Automatics use Fluid and Manuals use a heavy oil. And yes A Manual would see shift problems if it was low on oil.

Ok---I see him first thing in the morning and I will have him clarify what he meant when he said I was low on oil. I sure am glad you guys know a thing or two 'cause I'm clueless. Thanks for all of your help.

My Explorer has an automatic transmission.

TLW:You have the A4LD trans. The delayed reverse is the most common ailment of this trans. Im in the proccess of a rebuild on this trans(mine) and ive discovered some tech updates that yours needs.Dont worry the delayed engagement doesnt mean your trans is going bad.It just needs you to pull the pan and replace the low reverse servo seal as it has deteriorated to the point of leakage.Meaning it just takes a while to fill and overcome the leakage to provide pressure to actuate the servo piston.TLW....you can do this fix.The ford parts guy will shake his head knowingly when you ask him for the updated seal as he has probbably handed many of them accross the counter.Its a double lipped seal for the low/reverse servo. Theres also another fix but it requires you to pull the programing plate and drill out the low reverse feed hole to 1/8th in. I did both and viola.....immediate reverse. You just need 2 sockets...a 12 or 13 mm for the pan and a 10mm for the 4 servo cover bolts.Pull the pan ..pull the cover and the servo will just pop out at you.Replace the rubber ring on the little piston, replace the gasket on the cover...push it back in the hole and bolt the cover back on.Replace your filter while your down there, replace the pan gasket,...bolt the pan on...put a few quarts of trans fluid in...start the engine,check the level, add more fluid(probably)....your done.:thumbsup:

Originally posted by 94expo
Is this an Automatic or Manual tranny. Automatics use Fluid and Manuals use a heavy oil. And yes A Manual would see shift problems if it was low on oil.

Actually, the manual transmissions in most of the Explorers use ATF, not gear oil. Check your owners manual to be certain. If I remember correctly, only some of the early '91 Explorers came with a manual tranny that took gear oil. My old '92 used Mercon ATF in the 5 speed.

Back