is there a 5spd manual for the 98+ 4door v8's? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is there a 5spd manual for the 98+ 4door v8's?

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
hey, a buddy who works at a parts place said he could get me a 5spd off a 99 explorer 4door v8 for about a grand. i've never seen a five speed in a 98+ four door and was wondering if there was such a thing and could i swap out my auto for the that five speed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my buddy told me it was the m50d, said something about its in the f150s?

clarkkent said:
my buddy told me it was the m50d, said something about its in the f150s?

I'm not sure which trans specifically was in the F-150, but if it bolted up to a 4.6, I don't see why it wouldn't work? The only potential problem I can see is figuring out which clutch parts to use and how to plumb it up, and whether or not the transfer case out of the AWD Explorer would bolt up to the back of the F-150 tranny. If it's a 2wd F-150 and a 2wd Explorer, the only issue I could see might be driveshaft length and shifter location..... Hmmmm.... interesting concept!

-Joe

There never was a manual tranny V8 Explorer. If he's thinking the V6 manual will work, he's wrong.

There were about a thousand different M5OD's. I have no idea how many different versions can be swapped in your application, but if you want one go with the HD version as it has the lowest 1st gear and was offered behind the 302/351's in F150's.

i found a world class t5 out of a 95 cobra, would that fit? its 5.8. this tranny would be great for prerunning..

I didn't think Explorers in 99 had a 4.6L in it???!!!??!?!?

the 4.6 was in the mustang and f150.

Sorry. Ford never made a V8 Explorer with a stick.

The tranny would be an M5OD though.

Back