Is this '93 Ranger an STX or an XLT? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this '93 Ranger an STX or an XLT?

...Did the STX's come in different wheel base models as in, long beds, short bed's, extra cab??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Did the STX's come in different wheel base models as in, long beds, short bed's, extra cab??

Yes - STXs came in all body configurations.

EDIT: 3.0L and 4.0L engine, auto or manual transmission. No 2.3L engine.

...I never knew that...

...I always thought they were one standard size with an add on package just for STX models...

One more mini-fact not stated yet - STX was 4x4 only.

No sir - the STX was available in both 4x2 and 4x4. (And, for the record, my brochure is from California.)

Huh. Maybe in earlier years?
I'm just going by this 1995 brochure. In the several paragraph description of the STX, it ends with "Ford Ranger STX - It's a 4x4 only."
Plus in the powertrain chart that shows all Ranger models from XL to STX, and 4x2 to 4x4, it has slash lines through all engine choices for 4x2 STX. :dunno:

I wish Tbars would come get this brochure and scan and post it, so you all can help decipher it. :)

I don't know why, but I really like this thread! :thumbsup:

I'm just going by this 1995 brochure. In the several paragraph description of the STX, it ends with "Ford Ranger STX - It's a 4x4 only."
Plus in the powertrain chart that shows all Ranger models from XL to STX, and 4x2 to 4x4, it has slash lines through all engine choices for 4x2 STX. :dunno:

Must be something that Ford changed - model lineups usually change slightly year to year.

IIRC, 1994 was identical to 1993, with changes coming in in 1995. Also, in '95, the interiors changed - both Rangers and Explorers - curvy door panel top, instrument layout, A/C controls, center dash section, etc. (Funny - they are still in use today.)

I have a 1993 Ranger brochure in front of me (no tbars, you can't have it!)

It appears that only option that could not be deleted from an STX is "Speed control/tilt steering wheel", so you probably do not have an STX. (And the body stripe decal - but the truck could have been repainted.)

What color is it? There were 3 colors exclusive to the STX.

Chrome bumpers (which could have been changed) were only available on an XLT. As was already mentioned, XLTs came in a wide variety of trim adornment.

Just trying to muddy the waters...

Yeah, I would say that pretty much seals the deal. No tilt/cruise. It is what I would call a "mint" green metallic, with purple pinstripes. I doubt it has been repainted. Interior is typical grey/black. Except for a few dents, it's actually a nice looking truck. I think the 265/75/15 and the 4x4 ride height really make the look.

I'm def. convinced it's an XLT, at this point. Oh well, I thought it would be "neat" if it were an STX.

No sir - the STX was available in both 4x2 and 4x4. (And, for the record, my brochure is from California.)

I wish Tbars would come get this brochure and scan and post it, so you all can help decipher it. :)

I don't know why, but I really like this thread! :thumbsup:

Based on this: "The Ranger's changes for 1994 involved the debut of side door guard beams (also standard in the Mazda) and a Splash SuperCab.

Safety was increased even more in 1995 for the Ranger (and B-Series) when a driver airbag became standard and four-wheel ABS became optional. However, on trucks with the 4.0-liter V6 engine, ABS was standard. Power was increased for the 2.3-liter and 3.0-liter engines, now rated at 112 horsepower and 145 horsepower, respectively. Ranger SuperCab models could now have a (optional) power driver seat. The sporty STX was now only available as a 4X4."
From here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229456

I think it's saying that, as of the '95 model year, the STX was 4x4 only, but prior to '95 it was available as a 2wd.

Yeah, I would say that pretty much seals the deal. No tilt/cruise. It is what I would call a "mint" green metallic, with purple pinstripes. I doubt it has been repainted. Interior is typical grey/black. Except for a few dents, it's actually a nice looking truck. I think the 265/75/15 and the 4x4 ride height really make the look.

I'm def. convinced it's an XLT, at this point. Oh well, I thought it would be "neat" if it were an STX.

I remember the Caymen Green and purple...

I wheeled mine for many, many miles with 265's. When I lifted it (with a Rancho kit - advertised as 2 1/2 inches) and put better shocks on (RS5000s, then upgraded to RS9000s) the ride actually improved.

Overall, I must say they were/are great trucks! (My unbiased opinion, of course!)

Back