Jack Stand recommendations for 99 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jack Stand recommendations for 99 explorer

VicodinES

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
I purchased a used 99 xlt explorer 4x4 about 6 months ago, and the tires were in pretty bad shape, and it desperately needed an alignment. My mechanic told me to wait until i got new tires, and then get the alignment. I put in a new set of michelins and got the alignment. He then told me to get the tires rotated religiously every 5k miles, otherwise they'd end up cupped.

I'm planning on doing the rotation myself to save some money, and right now Sears has jack stands on sale for $12.00 each. They're 2 1/4 ton jack-stands. I've been going through the users manual, and can't find the total weight.

Are these adequate for my explorer?

Also, I've been having difficulty finding how much to torque down the lug nuts, so I can buy the appropriate torque wrench. Thanks

The curb weight of your explorer is less than 4000 lbs, and since each jack stand you are looking at buying can support 4500 lbs, and I assume you aren't going to balance the entire vehicle on one jackstand :eek: those jackstands will be just fine.

As for the torque, I believe the spec is 100 ft-lbs. Be sure to use a star pattern and go in increments of about 25 lbs.

If you plan on doing any work on your vehicle, I recommend getting a repair manual (Haynes or Chiltons). They usually are less than $20 and can save you a lot of time and money and be a very valuable source of information.

Good luck!

Back