Joe Dirt's 2000 Ex-El-Tee "Deuce" | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the registry for Wedgie 2.0, who has been affectionately named "Deuce"

From Shad's info to save keystrokes:

Here is the run down:

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L - AWD
Deep Wedgewood Blue
Gray Leather
Yada, yada, yada...

Highlights:

• Transmission rebuilt at 160,000 miles, and filled with synthetic
  • Lifted 2" in front with torsion keys
  • Lifted 3" in back with Add-a-Leaf and Warrior Shackles
  • New Superlift shocks at 166,000 miles
  • 31" x 10.5" tires
  • As much rust as some southern trucks- she's clean...

Interesting fact- it was an XLT fitted with air-ride shocks from the factory. System was disabled with the kit and shocks were put on to avoid costly repair.

Next to Wedgie:

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Today 1/28/11 was the first car wash.

IMG_1671.jpg

And yes, it needs to be cleaned... :D

IMG_1707.jpg

Um... This is going to be my biggest challenge to date.

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

But it's going to be fine. It's an incredible place to start- the steering wheel isn't even gummy or rolled. I'm very pleased with the canvas... :thumbsup:

Anyway, after the car wash, I snapped some pics for starting point reference.
So, here are our obligatory before pictures...

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

Door seams always oiled

IMG_1688.jpg

Hatch looks brand new as well!

IMG_1698.jpg

Nothing on the rocker seams ...but a paint chip :D

IMG_1687.jpg

Rockers nice. No rust even at the back- just grime and ice. I think the mudflaps really helped...

IMG_1685.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They're awesome, aren't they? lol!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ok, since I'm gone this weekend to Maine, figured I'd get the rockers and rear door seams primed and painted so they can sit over the weekend before putting the covers on.

All done!

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

And yes, Pete, I'm going to clean around the bottom of the weatherstripping when I put the new ones sitting on the shelf onto the truck. :shifty_ey

Looking good Joe! :thumbsup:

Where in Maine are you going?

Sidney. The other half works for THIS camp through the summer, so I'm visiting her and the munchkin for a long weekend. It's his birthday, he doesn't know I'm showing up. Some say I'm just going for the cake. :shifty_ey

Sidney. The other half works for THIS camp through the summer, so I'm visiting her and the munchkin for a long weekend. It's his birthday, he doesn't know I'm showing up. Some say I'm just going for the cake. :shifty_ey

That's awesome. The look on his face when he sees you will be priceless! :eek: Have a good, safe trip. My mother was from South Portland & I was born in Portland. Sidney is only about 3 1/2 hours from me and only about an hour from the Portland/S. Portland area. Glad to have you in "my neck of the woods"! :p:

Hey Brian, my box is here...

SU1HLTIwMTEwODA4LTAwMTE3LmpwZw.jpg

You can't touch these. Nobody has modified these to fit into a vehicle before.

Ever.

SU1HLTIwMTEwODA4LTAwMTE2LmpwZw.jpg

You can't touch these. Nobody has modified these to fit into a vehicle before.

Ever.

SU1HLTIwMTEwODA4LTAwMTE2LmpwZw.jpg

......and those are just the turn signals! :D

Stop telling my secrets!!!

Ok, decision time.

Truck currently has Warrior shackles, and torsion keys/TT and a nice droning vibration above 72mph, and on decel to about 72mph from what is probably junk u-joints from the pinion angles.

Since this thing rides like a tank with these Superlift shocks unless loaded down, I'm seriously considering removing the aftermarket torsion keys, the Warriors, and returning the height to stock with some Reflex shocks to also end the pinion angle u-joint issues once and for all. Plus, I have new ball joints, etc, etc, and would like to save all of those parts I think.

If I replace the u-joints, how long before they'll crap out again with the angles off?

Thoughts?

EDIT: I just read the tags on this registry- Cider Express? Wtf?!? lol!

You can help the pinion angles with shims. Loosen the U-bolts enough to slide them in between the perch and mount, tighten back up. If the stud is too short, a replacement bolt (grade 8 if doing so) is needed and cut to length. Doubt you need more than 2*-4* with the War153.

You can get way better shocks then those Stuper Lifts. Go Bilstiens or top end Rancho's. :thumbsup:

You might need your drive shafts balanced. You might have MUD packed on the inside of a wheel. You might have a bad tire. You might have a bad 5th shock. :dunno:

If your U-joints decided to go to hell at 72 mph, I'm pretty sure they would go to hell at 25 mph. Your most likely getting the death wobble that's oh so familiar with our rigs. Your just luckier than most, as most get it at around 60-65 mph. :p:

Oh, and if you replaced any of the front suspension parts with service grade parts, the TT will eventually tear them up. I went thru a few Moog ball joints in a matter of months before I went Pro Grade. No problems with those yet. ;)

Thanks Greg- no service grade parts for me... :) And shame on you for thinking I have mud on anything remotely close to touching my Ex. :D

I like the lift, so I may go with some shims and new u-joints. I had been reading around here and seemed to see a lot of threads about the vibration and similar speeds and all seemed to be bad u-joints.

I may look at the Ranchos, I didn't care much for the trucks' rides I've tagged along in featuring Bilsteins...

Hey- I haven't yet put on my new 5th shock, and I don't know if the front wheel bearings have been replaced. Have to check those... Hmmm...

Mud? Gregg- it's me... :D

LOL! I was just throwing out some scenarios. Even the best get MUD in their eye every now & then. :D

RS9000XL are adjustable 9 ways and are the chit. :)

There are an upgrade to the U-joints as well. The Super Strength Spicers. These are for the 95-96, but pretty sure the rear is the same, and the front maybe as well, but double check on Napa or Rockauto site. I prefer Non-greasable over Greaseable as they are sealed, and can last forever under normal driving conditions.

Spicer U-Joints
Fronts-- 4WD; Exc. CV; Position: G1- Front Driveshaft at Transfer Case; G2- Front Driveshaft at Front Axle
269 Precision Non-Greaseable Super Strength

Rears--4WD; Position: G3 G5
254 Precision Non-Greaseable Super-Strength

Thanks for the info- I'm going to look them up. I don't like greaseable U-joints either.

Mud... I panic in dust! :D

the double cardon front shaft dissapeared after 96, and there was only the cv shaft, im not sure if the front joint stayed the same though. The cv joint in the front driveshaft can fail and cause the same vibration also

Since this thing rides like a tank with these Superlift shocks unless loaded down, I'm seriously considering removing the aftermarket torsion keys, the Warriors, and returning the height to stock with some Reflex shocks to also end the pinion angle u-joint issues once and for all. Plus, I have new ball joints, etc, etc, and would like to save all of those parts I think.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I just read the tags on this registry- Cider Express? Wtf?!? lol!

Sell em to me. :D (the lift kit)

If I do pull them off, I'd be more than happy to do that... :)

I may pull a front driveshaft at the yard, then rebuild the whole thing than swap it on...

i wish i had saved my old shaft, it worked great, i just wanted a more reliable driveshaft and transfer case

Thoughts on uncranking Torsions and removing Shackles, a much smoother ride but a more mudane look...

Any updates?

Yes, Joe's Ex is even cleaner and shinier since last uber-cleaning!! And Magic Erasers have had a big price increase due to demand.

Back