• Register Today It's free!

Joining the "Crack Club" :(

Burnout

Reaction score
City, State
North Quincy, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I had read about the problems with the rear panel below the glass (the cracking in the applique), but was hoping it wouldn't happen for at least a while after I had it. But, of course, yesterday as I was opening the gate it looked like I had a piece of grass or something stuck to it. As I shut the gate I was thinking "Don't be cracked..." but it was. :(

Through the posts I've read here it seems like this cracking is only cosmetic. Of course I wish it wasn't there, but I'm not going to bother paying to repair it if it's for nothing but looks. I've attached a picture of how it looks now, I'm guessing it's going to spread.

My main question is, what do I have to worry about with this here? A friend of mine said I should put touch-up paint on it to stop water from getting in. Is that a good idea? Where would I get that?

Also, say I wanted to take my X to a car wash. Would that do anything bad for the crack? Is there anything else I should worry about?

Thanks for all the help

(It's a big picture, so here's just the link)
http://yfrog.com/2mcrackingj

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No worries--it's only cosmetic. As it heats-up and cools down the crack will open and close. Replace the panel and use 3M adhesive tape instead of the factory glue.
I saw an Explorer yesterday where they had replaced the panel with a black primered one without the emblem and it looked worse than simply a crack.

It wll most likely end up running completely from top to bottom of the panel. It's just cosmetic- if you can, just get a replacement panel, some duplicolor, and you can paint it yourself. As abarkl said, use tape to stick it, as it allows for the expansion and contraction of the plastic.

Eh, no worries man. I just picked up my X a few weeks ago and it came with the crack. Mine runs from top to bottom, but it's all good. I don't worry about it. We all notice it because we're Explorer fans on this forum, but the normal person wouldn't even see it. My X is black so it's even less noticeable in my opinion. I think it gives it some unique character. lol...

I also called Ford about it, and even they confirmed there's nothing structually damaging to the truck if it's cracked. I ran mine through a machine car wash and it was fine. I wouldn't worry about it. If you wanna fix it, I think it's relatively inexpensive. As I've seen, there are replacement panels you can buy and put on if you wanna go through the trouble.

That sucks.

That rear glass door is too easy to slam shut. I am guessing that over time that doesnt help either.

Where can I get a replacement panel for cheap?

I'm curious - do you guy's with cracks - Do you close your hatch/glass by the plastic? I don't have a crack and I almost never open my glass and I close the hatch with the inside handle and push on the license plate. Just curious....

I'm curious - do you guy's with cracks - Do you close your hatch/glass by the plastic? I don't have a crack and I almost never open my glass and I close the hatch with the inside handle and push on the license plate. Just curious....

When it's the full hatch, I will pull down the handle and then close it with the bottom panel plastic (the one that the license plate is on, which is desperate from the panel that's cracked).

However, if it's just the glass, I do shut it by the plastic, albeit gently. I'm pretty sure that I shut it soft enough that a cup on an IKEA table inside wouldn't shake. I've read a lot of reports of people that take care to shut it gently (all of which can be taken with a grain of salt, of course) yet it still cracked.

Just wondering im thinking of taking my rear panel off because i was prying up on one end and was gonna redo the whole thing and was wondering for the 3M tape wouldnt the panel come off if the tape gets wet

Just wondering im thinking of taking my rear panel off because i was prying up on one end and was gonna redo the whole thing and was wondering for the 3M tape wouldnt the panel come off if the tape gets wet

I used 3M double sided tape to secure mine. So far, the new panel has been on for 1 year without any trouble! :thumbsup:

Can you guys provide a link to the replacement panel. Ive been searching online and cant find anything for a descent price.

Can you guys provide a link to the replacement panel. Ive been searching online and cant find anything for a descent price.

I haven't done much looking, but from what I've heard it is expensive no matter what you do. I think I've seen prices for the Applique around $70. Blech.

hey folks if you contact ford i believe this is a factory recall or assistance program try ford customer service at 1-800-392-3673

3 TIMES NOW A RETURN MEMBER "crack club"

3 TIMES BROKEN - BLEW OFF THE TRUCK THIS TIME!

Is there an alternative DIY to replace the plastic with another material?

This should be a class action lawsuit.

I like my explorer but have had all the common problems of this gen

1. Tranny replacement
  2. rear springs
  3. all wheel bearings twice
  4. parking brake
  5. Rear diff ROAR!
  6. 3 - applique failures
  7. ABS Sensors

WTF!

I just want cheap repair and gonna turn and burn on this lemon!

I was gonna buy an Edge but rethinking Ford purchase - YEA FORD OVER A PIECE OF PLASTIC YOU WON'T FIX PROPERLY! ARE YOU MONITORING THIS SITE? F U

hey folks if you contact ford i believe this is a factory recall or assistance program try ford customer service at 1-800-392-3673

I've never seen a recall on this, since it's not a safety issue and doesn't effect the operation. Purely cosmetic. Ford doesn't seem too helpful on fixing it, other than selling you the part.

I've had such good luck with my Explorer, this is pretty small potatos in the overall scheme of things so I'm not *****ing. Now if my tranny goes out tomorrow.....:splat:

Hasn't happened to mine, but when it's hot outside in the sun, it will lift and bow out a little bit, but won't crack. I'd prefer it to do that than snap.

Lucky

Ford doesn't help

I called the Ford hotline and got some sympathy, but no action. There is no recall as of now, but there maybe in the future. :( The Ford rep told me to save all receipts as I could be reimbursed in the future - if there is a recall. To hold your breath and expect a miracle :D

RAILRAY

Back