Joshua Tree Run - 7/24/2001

Ken Cooke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Rubicon - Tomb Raider
It's official - Starsailor and I are going to take on the elements in the Joshua Tree NP. Since we're going during the week, there won't be too many other 4X4's clogging the trails. Since we're going in the summer, I doubt there will be close to anybody clogging any of the trails. If anyone else is interested, just post a reply, and we will name a time and a place...

Trip Summary

Starsailor and I took our Fords up Berdoo Canyon this morning in 100 degree heat, entering the Joshua Tree Natl. Park from the Southwest corner. This is a dirt road that takes you from Dillon Road into the park boundaries and beyond. Berdoo Canyon is looked at as a major artery into and out of the park, with several trails which bypass this dirt road. Many of the trails have recently been closed as a result of the "Roadless" action at the end of the Clinton Presidency. I previously asked park personnel about this action, and one park receptionist told me, "It is because there are so many off roaders tearing up the park." But, the more informed information came directly from the friendly park ranger. He told me, "We have to go down to Rockhouse [Canyon Jeep Trail] and fish out tourists who have no business going down there." He also told me that because the park obtained so many new acres to the park, that the park personnel did not know what to do with it all, so they decided to build a bike trail for all of the mountain bikers who cross the park in Mtn. Bikes. -- I could go on and on about land use issues, but I'll save that for another time.
We discovered an old ghost town which was situated above Berdoo Canyon road. I had never heard of this ghost town, but I am sure with some research, Dan or I can tell more about it in the near future. Well, the roads to this ghost town were severely washed out and eroded. Several more places along Berdoo Canyon existed that you could play around, but I was careful not to try and scale the "Spike Spot" or I would blow another steering stabilizer. This spot is just right at disabling one's steering if you don't choose the perfect line. We crawled over several spots along the road and generally goofed off - noticing many, many good trails which were recently closed off and walking up some which would make Rick envious to play on. We'll be returning again in the near future to cover Brooklyn Mine Jeep Trail and we'll make sure there are photos of it. BTW-We took dozens of photos out in the field today - Dan can post these if anyone would like to see what kinda action took place...

Hey, yeah post those pictures!! If I can't go myself, at least I can see someone else's fun! :)

Back