• Register Today It's free!

Just a few questions

98 5oh XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Clackamas, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT AWD X "Loki"
Ok ive got a 98 XLT Explorer 5oh AWD. Now for the list of things i am confused about and have no idea.....

1. Engine makes a clicking sound (Louder than fuel injectors) when cold, and as of recent (below 45 degree temp cold starts) a clanging noise for about 2 to 5 min. Have no idea what this is, am mildly concerned because i cant seem to centeralize it, comes from both sides of motor.

2. Sometimes when turning at low speeds sometimes with brakes applied and sometimes not applied i will hear and feel through my steering wheel a low groan noise for the entire time i am turning the wheel.

3. Very very squeaky ride, a groan from the right front and in the back both sides when i hit speed bumps, assuming ball joints/suspention?

4. When its below about 55 degrees after a cold start my truck blows ALOT of condensation and it almost smells like my old chevy 350 p/u when it ran rich, just a horrid horrid overabundance of fuel. Is this normal?

5. When i am in 4th gear getting ready to switch to 5th if i am at 40 to 45 mph it feels like...how to explain....my truck is slipping? Bucking slightly or jerking then it upshifts. It shifts a little rough into 1-2 and 2-3. Prior owner removed the front driveshaft and i have that at home but have to get the boot replaced. Could this be apart of the problem? If so how?

Thanks much for taking the time to read this and respond i am greatful for any help you great masters can offer :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am still learning myself but I will try to help on question 1,2 and 3:

1.) Clicking / Ticking is common as these engines increase in mileage as valves / lifters go through longer wear and tear. What is your mileage on your vehicle?

2.) Is the 4WD engaged when this happens? Mine does it also when 4WD is engaged if I turn sharp. Also when 4WD is engaged on normal pavement. Turning your wheel extremely sharp is not good in any case because from my experience it is harder on the axles. Mine doesn't really do it in 2WD though.

3.) Sounds about spot on. I assume like the rest of us your shocks are pretty rusty. When is the last time (if any) ball joints were replaced? Also check the upper and lower tie rod ends. Search the forum/youtube. jlsparky7 has some really good videos on some of this stuff. Search him on youtube.

Can't answer the other two. :)

I am still learning myself ......Me, too!

2.) Is the 4WD engaged when this happens? Mine does it also when 4WD is engaged if I turn sharp. Also when 4WD is engaged on normal pavement. Turning your wheel extremely sharp is not good in any case because from my experience it is harder on the axles. Mine doesn't really do it in 2WD though. Unless I misunderstand, he has All-Wheel Drive" which means he cannot engage/disengage, or do anything at all about "4WD". Add to that the fact that he has no front driveshaft, which seems to rule out noise generated by bad outboard C-V joints when turning under power, as they are not being powered w/no driveshaft, just spinning free. (like me! :)) imp

3Can't answer the other two. :)
Me neither.

Ah yes you may be right then. I misunderstood and thought it was 4wd.

I am still learning myself but I will try to help on question 1,2 and 3:

1.) Clicking / Ticking is common as these engines increase in mileage as valves / lifters go through longer wear and tear. What is your mileage on your vehicle?

2.) Is the 4WD engaged when this happens? Mine does it also when 4WD is engaged if I turn sharp. Also when 4WD is engaged on normal pavement. Turning your wheel extremely sharp is not good in any case because from my experience it is harder on the axles. Mine doesn't really do it in 2WD though.

3.) Sounds about spot on. I assume like the rest of us your shocks are pretty rusty. When is the last time (if any) ball joints were replaced? Also check the upper and lower tie rod ends. Search the forum/youtube. jlsparky7 has some really good videos on some of this stuff. Search him on youtube.

Can't answer the other two. :)

First off thank you very much for taking the time to respond :) My truck had 134k when i got her, i work security and as such she sees alot of road time and idle time, i average about 50 to 120 miles per day, i just rolled 141k (in three months :eek: no wonder im so broke!). I upset it with a Seafoam treatment and she has been running alot better and a bit of power gain but the ticking has not decreased or increased. I use Havoline hi mileage 10w30 with the NAPA Gold series oil filter. On my balljoints i have no clue, she was owned by an elderly couple so she was clean (Got a two year old, it got thrashed with in 5 min of dropping my daughter into it) but they did not know where the maint records were. According to them it was a ford demo model that they purchased at 9k and just used for highway travel, I just thought balljoints because i actually had a lower balljoint let go on my 92 tbird a few years back and it just kinda feels like a balljoint issue. As far as the steering the pump looks newish but the fluid looks a little worn so I think perhaps if i flush the fluid that might help but it doesnt feel or sound like my power steering, if i had to guess i would guess its down in the steering gear box but ive never heard of those making noises like this. However my knowlege could be incorrect, ive been more or less a german or japanese rig owner. I bought the X to replace my Saturn ION because it was too small and not suited to my needs. Anyways i digress, on my next couple days off ill check my tierods and such and get back to you all. Thank you both for responding however :) I do appreciate the help.

No problem man. Keep us updated on what you find:thumbsup:

Back