just found a potential donor for a swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just found a potential donor for a swap

cerberusaardvark

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer xlt
hey guys, ive been looking at donor for awhile now to take the v8 out of and swap into my 94. i just came across this one for a grand. guy says it has a bad head gasket, but it drives well as it hasnt become serious yet. there are 224k on it and its 2wd.

its got a 4r70 with an od button on it. i know that there are people who have used 2wd trannies and found adapters to mate it to the bw 1354 but im wondering if its worth it.

for comparison, i can get another 99 v8 awd with the same miles on it for 900 more. would i be saving money by getting the 2wd 96 (1000)and getting adapter pieces or should i take the 99 awd (1900) for an easier swap?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/3751899667.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/3746074207.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't get the 99 just because of the pats. Its a PITA!

That is true on the pats but the later model 5.0 is a gt40p motor. It would be a better motor in my opinion.

oo didnt know it came with pats. yea thatd suck. but then ive also seen guys on here have trouble with the gt40p heads with clearance issues.

seems like the 99 has better parts and systems but is more of a hassle to install. would require some serious problem solving, where as the 96 is older but more straightforward.

I know its hard to wait, but the late 97s and 98s were not pats-gt40p motors.

whoa didnt even think to look further. those are some nice donors. any odd differences with the mercury setup?

whoa didnt even think to look further. those are some nice donors. any odd differences with the mercury setup?
Mercury has 30 lbs of dynomat factory and the steering wheel has a different emblem.

I know its hard to wait, but the late 97s and 98s were not pats-gt40p motors.

What do you mean 97-98 are not gt40p motors? Gt40p motors came out mid 97. And 98 not pats? My 98 witch is a early built 98 has pats and a gt40p motor.

i see. so even down to the wiring the mercury is that same. i always knew it was a carbon copy but i didnt know how deep the likeness ran between them. and i would mind doing some dynomating during the swap.. its serisouly loud in my ex as it is.

is there any easy way to tell on a potential donor at a glance or do i need to get my flashlight and look for the stamp on the heads to tell between gt40p and non p?

What do you mean 97-98 are not gt40p motors? Gt40p motors came out mid 97. And 98 not pats? My 98 witch is a early built 98 has pats and a gt40p motor.

I was thinking one thing and typed another. I meant late 97 and 98 are gt40p motors and 98 starts the pats. I can't multi task like I used to.

I have two 97s, one came with a P motor, one didn't. Just a mistake on part.

Back