• Register Today It's free!

Just got my explorer! Loving it!

theblackXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
So i just purchased my Black on Black XLT 202A this past sunday. I gotta say, despite all the hate going on, im loving it so far! I debated between something a little more status, (BMW, Mercedes, Audi) and honestly, the tech won me over. The dealer offered to upgrade my MFT and Sync for free as well. Im single, 30, work in the tech industry and traded in my 370z for the explorer. BIG CHANGE haha, but a good one i think.

The only problem I have so far is; I put a 500GB hard drive, loaded with music in the USB cubby. This thing took days to index. Literally, days. Once it was indexed, everything works Great! problem is, if im listening to Sirius, and turn off the car, the next time i get in, it ALWAYS plays the USB music first which can sometimes take a moment to get started.

Is there anyways to set your music input start up preference?

to end, Im glad to be part of the group!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats on your new Explorer. I love mine too. I'm actually jealous because I bought the Explorer for my wife and so she gets to drive it more than I do. LOL

Congrats... I'm just like you... brand new XLT with 202A and I work in the tech industry.
So the tech won me over, LOL :) In retrospect, I wish I had a chance to spend a few days with the MFT before deciding to purchase.

I have a 160GB iPod classic connected and sometimes it starts playing when I start the car even when I left it on Sirius.
I think it has to do with whichever module "checks in" with the system first... bad software design for sure.

I remember when Ford was first showing of MFT at one of the auto shows last year. They had this girl on stage bragging about changing the color of ambient lights. And I noticed just how choppy the UI was - and thought to myself: "This ain't right. They shouldn't be proud of this. I hope it's just a prototype bug." They are trying to copy the Apple user experience but they can't. (But they believe they could.)

Congrats... I'm just like you... brand new XLT with 202A and I work in the tech industry.
So the tech won me over, LOL :) In retrospect, I wish I had a chance to spend a few days with the MFT before deciding to purchase.

I have a 160GB iPod classic connected and sometimes it starts playing when I start the car even when I left it on Sirius.
I think it has to do with whichever module "checks in" with the system first... bad software design for sure.

I remember when Ford was first showing of MFT at one of the auto shows last year. They had this girl on stage bragging about changing the color of ambient lights. And I noticed just how choppy the UI was - and thought to myself: "This ain't right. They shouldn't be proud of this. I hope it's just a prototype bug." They are trying to copy the Apple user experience but they can't. (But they believe they could.)

Im not gonna lie, the UI experience, is HORRIBLE, but then again thats what I do, Im the creative director for our USA operations and User Interface and experience is what we specialize in. But you really cant expect much i dont think. There is this huge gap between Auto Electronic UI and the computers we use everyday and i have NO IDEA why they do that.

I should just redesign the UI and submit it to ford haha. Either way, i really do love the vehicle. Really glad i went with it. (plus is its a lease, if it gets annoying im out in 3 years anyways haha)

Congrats on the new Explorer.
The gadget side won me over too, also work in the tech industry.
Definately a difference going from a coupe to a SUV.

The 370s are pretty nice, we ended trading in my car and decided to keep my wife's G37 coupe :D

Despite the bugs in the MFT, NAV, Radio, and rain noise on the roof; I still love my Ex and actually look forward to driving it each day. I've owned it for 2 months now and STILL get excited for the ride, I haven't felt like this since I bought my first Mustang 20 years ago.

Hopefully Ford will fix these critical areas for us current owners and prove to the world that they have set the bar for the next generation of automobile cabin controls.

So i just purchased my Black on Black XLT 202A this past sunday. I gotta say, despite all the hate going on, im loving it so far! I debated between something a little more status, (BMW, Mercedes, Audi) and honestly, the tech won me over. The dealer offered to upgrade my MFT and Sync for free as well. Im single, 30, work in the tech industry and traded in my 370z for the explorer. BIG CHANGE haha, but a good one i think.

The only problem I have so far is; I put a 500GB hard drive, loaded with music in the USB cubby. This thing took days to index. Literally, days. Once it was indexed, everything works Great! problem is, if im listening to Sirius, and turn off the car, the next time i get in, it ALWAYS plays the USB music first which can sometimes take a moment to get started.

Is there anyways to set your music input start up preference?

to end, Im glad to be part of the group!

It looks like there might be a setting to Autoplay your inserted media. You can try turning that to Off and see what happens. This is what the manual says:

Media Player Settings:

Autoplay on/off:

With this feature on, the system will automatically switch to the media source upon intial connection and you can listen to music which has already been randomly indexed during the indexing process. With this feature off, the system will not automatically switch to the inserted media source.

It looks like there might be a setting to Autoplay your inserted media. You can try turning that to Off and see what happens. This is what the manual says:

Media Player Settings:

Autoplay on/off:

With this feature on, the system will automatically switch to the media source upon intial connection and you can listen to music which has already been randomly indexed during the indexing process. With this feature off, the system will not automatically switch to the inserted media source.

I did this last night. It's in the setting on the MFT as described. Hated when I plugged in my iPhone to charge and it would start playing the music on there.

theblackXLT, I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying your Explorer! You must have a lot of music loaded on that 500GB hard drive! I’m glad you turning off the Autoplay feature and now it work more like you’d want. I understand where you’re coming from with the improvements of the interface, and I know that the SYNC engineering is always looking to improve the system. If you have any suggestions, don’t forget to sign up for www.TheFordStory.com and submit your ideas!

vfral1, I received your message and sent you a reply. Please check your inbox for the details in case you haven’t already.

Cory

Back