Just Purchased My 2002 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just Purchased My 2002

Also don't forget that this WEB site is for fixing your truck. I don't think many people 'hang' here unless they have a question or problem with the truck. So I would expect some bias toward hearing about problems. I wouldn't expect someone to create a user account and post about a perfect running truck - unless your a gearhead like me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They may have more problems that many other SUVs on the road, but you've also got to remember there are a lot more explorers on the road than any other SUV. my 02 still has low miles, but it's been trouble free, only taken it in for little items like a leaky strut, and discolored trim on the doors. And mine has the V8 that is suposedly more troublesome than the V6 as far as trannies go.
They are great trucks for the price, and there are tons to choose from.

So the V8's have more problems than the V6's? I thought I read somewhere else that it was the other way around. Part of the reason I was looking at the V8's (other than the fact that I'm a guy and of course want a big engine) is I thought they had less problems. In all reality I most likely won't be towing much if anything, so if the V6's really do have less problems it may be worth my while to get one of those instead. What do you guys think?

The V8 has a much stronger tranny than the V6 models...

The V8 has a much stronger tranny than the V6 models...

Third gen Explorer's all have the same tranny 5R55W, V8 or V6. I guess you could argue or asumme that the V8 pushes more torque through the tranny and therefore is more likley to have problems.

I have the V6 with 78k on the clock and the trannie is still smooth.
YMMV

Third gen Explorer's all have the same tranny 5R55W, V8 or V6. I guess you could argue or asumme that the V8 pushes more torque through the tranny and therefore is more likley to have problems.

I have the V6 with 78k on the clock and the trannie is still smooth.
YMMV

I would of sworn I read they had different tranny's. I can't remember exactly but I thought I read in a post here that the V8's had the 5R55W and the V6's had a 5R55E. That might not be it exactly but I remember one had a W in it and the other had an E. I could be wrong though I guess.

Our 02 XLT 4 Liter has 105k miles and has been fairly trouble free. The rear air began clicking so i disconnected it and recently the idle in the morning is a problem. I took off the IAC and tried to clean it but that didnt help. We're currently trying to sell it but no takers as yet.

I would of sworn I read they had different tranny's. I can't remember exactly but I thought I read in a post here that the V8's had the 5R55W and the V6's had a 5R55E. That might not be it exactly but I remember one had a W in it and the other had an E. I could be wrong though I guess.

The 5R55E was used in later 2nd gen V6 Exploders. The 2nd gen Exploders V8 had the 4 speed tranny. That 4 speed was stonger than the 5R55E 5 speed.

If I were you i would buy the warranty. I bought an 02 back in july and it has been nothin but a piece of junk. I had to have transmission seals replaced front differential seal replaced torque converter replaced, rear coil springs replaced. And now i believe the started is going. Luckily this was all under warranty. I have had more problems with this truck (minivan) in 5months of ownership than i've had with my 93 that i've had for 3 years. This will be my last explorer i own unless i buy another 1st gen.

havng so many miles on mine 135000 i am sure soon i will be replacing all spings/shocks.and that is why i replace the fluid in the transmission once a year.as well as all other fluids.
not really sure that i could call my 2002 a Minivan,
I just sold a mini van and they do not compare in the least bit!!!
my 2002 has now 135000 on it and the only thng i have had to replace is the wheel bearings in the back on both sides..
not a big deal at all.
and now the temp gauge inside reads 98degrees so that will have to get some new sensor. Also change the fluids every year and I mean every fluid in the truck.but if that is my only problem i am sure i would get another new one rather than buy something as old as a first generation!!!there are not many vehicles that never need any new parts or never break. so if one was to assume that it is a piece of garbage cause it has problems. i am not sure one is grasping the concept very well..also it depends on how it was taken care of if it was just bought.

welcome to the forum dave do u got pics of ur sport at all

I've owned my 02 Mountaineer 2 WEEKS. Bought from a private party so no wty. If you decide to keep it GET THE WARRANTY!! Everything I have read AFTER I bought the trannys are crap. Expensive lesson...research first! I would NEVER have bought had I read this stuff first!

holy crap... I found this thread while looking for tips on what to look for when looking at 02-03 explorers. I was planning on heading to a dealership this week to look at a couple, but after reading this I'm scared out of my mind. I had done my researching at edmunds.com and they highly recommended the explorer and since my current '03 ranger hasn't given me any problems I thought I'd be safe. Are they really that prone to problems as this thread makes it seem?

I'll chime in.

My 2002 V8 AWD Explorer Limited purchased new in May 2002 just clocked 90,000 miles. So far I have replaced: Tires (@50K miles - $400) Battery (@ 5 1/2 years - $80) , Brake Pads (@ 78K miles - $150 incl. turning the rotors), Front wheel bearings (80K miles - $350) (only one of the two required replacement), Rear/Aux Heat/AC blend door actuator motor (@89K miles - $90), and the 4x4 control module (@ 86K miles - $150). Excluding the normal wear items, that is about $400 in repairs over almost 6 years and 90K miles. Not too bad, and in no case did the vehicle stand us or need to be removed from service for more than a couple of hours (I do my own non-warranty repairs and maintenance).

My rear end has had the infamous whine since nearly new and has not gotten worse or better - we usually don't notice it. The tranny was reprogrammed and flushed at 30K miles under warrantee. There is some very small corrosion on the hood (aluminum), and some trim pieces have faded in the sun. Other than that, it is like new.

There are some known problem spots, some of which are expensive (e.g. transmission), but like many cars the majority of items requiring attention are not expensive.

All that said, some people get lucky (myself included) and some have big trouble with them. I cannot say what a technical comparison of the Ex with other similar vehicles would reveal.

This is not a "chatty" or overly social web site, although I like and have lots of respect for lots of the folks on here. I come here to track repair problems to aid me in maintaining mine. Therefore, it will appear from reading this site that all Explorers are bad; however, as was pointed out, people come here to vent and to get help (BTW, the guys here can fix anything - you would be amazed, I know that I am).

To date, this has been the most trouble-free and utilitarian vehicle we have owned (out of 25 or 30 cars). Of course the tranny may fall out tomorrow, but it doesn't seem like that is imminent. It has never stranded my wife and never caused me or her to feel it was unsafe (if so, it would be gone tomorrow, and that includes stranding her).

As a comparison, my brother had a Chevy Blazer that was absolutely the anti-Christ, as reliability and expensive repairs go. One difference may be that he did not maintain the Chevy religiously. I would advise owners of Explorers to stay up on the maintenance at all costs. If you cannot be sure of the maintenance history of a used one, I would be very suspect and go to great lengths to check it out.

Your results may vary. Good Luck.

I'll chime in.

My 2002 V8 AWD Explorer Limited purchased new in May 2002 just clocked 90,000 miles. So far I have replaced: Tires (@50K miles - $400) Battery (@ 5 1/2 years - $80) , Brake Pads (@ 78K miles - $150 incl. turning the rotors), Front wheel bearings (80K miles - $350) (only one of the two required replacement), Rear/Aux Heat/AC blend door actuator motor (@89K miles - $90), and the 4x4 control module (@ 86K miles - $150). Excluding the normal wear items, that is about $400 in repairs over almost 6 years and 90K miles. Not too bad, and in no case did the vehicle stand us or need to be removed from service for more than a couple of hours (I do my own non-warranty repairs and maintenance).

My rear end has had the infamous whine since nearly new and has not gotten worse or better - we usually don't notice it. The tranny was reprogrammed and flushed at 30K miles under warrantee. There is some very small corrosion on the hood (aluminum), and some trim pieces have faded in the sun. Other than that, it is like new.

There are some known problem spots, some of which are expensive (e.g. transmission), but like many cars the majority of items requiring attention are not expensive.

All that said, some people get lucky (myself included) and some have big trouble with them. I cannot say what a technical comparison of the Ex with other similar vehicles would reveal.

This is not a "chatty" or overly social web site, although I like and have lots of respect for lots of the folks on here. I come here to track repair problems to aid me in maintaining mine. Therefore, it will appear from reading this site that all Explorers are bad; however, as was pointed out, people come here to vent and to get help (BTW, the guys here can fix anything - you would be amazed, I know that I am).

To date, this has been the most trouble-free and utilitarian vehicle we have owned (out of 25 or 30 cars). Of course the tranny may fall out tomorrow, but it doesn't seem like that is imminent. It has never stranded my wife and never caused me or her to feel it was unsafe (if so, it would be gone tomorrow, and that includes stranding her).

As a comparison, my brother had a Chevy Blazer that was absolutely the anti-Christ, as reliability and expensive repairs go. One difference may be that he did not maintain the Chevy religiously. I would advise owners of Explorers to stay up on the maintenance at all costs. If you cannot be sure of the maintenance history of a used one, I would be very suspect and go to great lengths to check it out.

Your results may vary. Good Luck.

Very well put! I couldn't agree more. Though this site is mainly for help with repairs and questions about problems/issues that arrise, I feel we have great vehicles. People aren't going to come on here to post about how well their 4wd is working, or how their control module is still working, or their tranny is still in tact..so overall most of the problems u see on this site, everyone is kind of having that same particular problem. You don't see problems like engine/head, thermostats, shocks, struts, etc.
Compare the problems we have with our X's to the forums for Chevy Equinox, Trailblazer etc or Jeep Grand Cherokee and even Nissan. I think over all we're pretty lucky. At least i feel i am..even WITH some of the same problems others on this site have with theirs. I still love mine. :D

Back