Just replaced the front wheel bearings/hubs on my '06 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just replaced the front wheel bearings/hubs on my '06

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
My 2006 XLS has 97K miles on it and was making enough noise that I figured a front wheel bearing/hub swap was necessary. If I can do it on my cold, wet, garage floor in the corrosion, rust capital of the world, here in Syracuse NY in late December, anybody can do it. In my case proper planning is the key because I'm not a mechanic and I need to be completely comfortable before I start. I'm not one of those guys that can just dive in and get it done. Can't really add too much to the procedure that is so well documented a bazillion times already in this forum, and in the Gen III forum in the STICKY. My main thing was saving $. Since a wheel hub installation is not very labor intensive for the dealer and they would probably only charge an hour per side (plus whatever else they could find wrong with your truck,) the place where I thought I could save the most money was in the parts. I decided that Chinese (or poor quality) bearings was not the way to go. So I started looking at SKF, Motorcraft, Timkin, and National. I also wanted to buy hubs that came with the 5 bolt kit and ABS sensor. In my part research, I began noticing that 2 different part #'s for my 2006 were coming up for the SKF hubs...BR930456, and BR930741. The same thing with the Motorcraft hubs......HUB67 and HUB29. (This might get confusing, but I stuck with it and saved at least $300 in parts alone.) I couldn't tell what the difference in the parts were, except that the latter part numbers were alot more expensive. To this day I still don't know what the difference is, but if the less expensive part would fit my truck I wanted to use it. I had read that the SKF hubs were made in Canada and used Timkin bearings, and had the abs sensor and bolt kit. Someone on Ebay was selling them for about $150, so I began to focus on them. (The Motorcraft HUB67's were about $170 on Ebay.) I also noticed that on the RockAuto site the SKF BR930456 was cross-referenced to the Mororcraft 4L2Z1104AA, which is HUB67. OK, great. The problem is that the notes on the SKF hubs state that they aren't supposed to be used on builds after 7/25/05. (BTW the build date is on the sticker on your drivers door.) My build date is 10/17/05. CRAP! But, I ordered them anyway because of the cross-reference to the HUB67, which didn't have any such notes. While my hubs were on the way, I began to panic because of the note, and researched further. Advanced Auto, on their website, has the specs. for a Driveworks (China) bearing that fits my truck. I compared them to the specs. (flange diameter, etc.) for the SKF hub (which are easily seen on Ebay,) and they were identical. Beautiful! Now the only thing to do was see if they actually fit.

The only tools I had to buy were a 32mm deep impact socket from Harbor Freight for $4.99, and a 3/8" wobble extension from Sears for $6.99. The hubs were $147.40 each, with free shipping. I also bought a 15mm offset wrench but didn't need to use it. For a couple of weeks prior, I bathed the axle nuts and hub bolts in PB Blaster in my workplace parking lot every day so I wouldn't stink up my garage. My next door neighbor had an impact wrench that had no trouble with the axle nuts. I tried using a breaker bar and my hydraulic jack on the axle nuts, but no go. 1A Auto has a good video on YouTube on replacing a hub on an X. So I got the truck jacked up, and added a jack stand for safety. Got the brakes and the backing plate off no problem. The best thing I did, was tapping the axle shaft in about 3/4" or so, so I was able to get a full bite on the bolts with a 15mm socket. I used a 1/2" ratchet, 3/8" adapter, the 3/8" wobble, and 15mm socket. Got a full bite on all 3 bolts, and with a little muscle (which is all this middle-aged guy has left,) and a 12" piece of cheater pipe, all 3 bolts came out. I was excited until I saw how rusted tight these old hubs were in there. I even saw the dreaded gray rtv sealent they used to seal in the hub. I started using a chisel and a 3lb hammer on it and finally noticed it budged a little. I was banging the back edges with the hammer from behind either side. Yada, yada...finally got it out. The 3lb hammer I had was nice because one end was tapered and it could get a good hit on it. As the hub was coming out I just tapped the axle in. A hub puller would have been usless in my case. It would have just pushed the axle in. So I cleaned up the opening. A can of brake parts cleaner and wd-40 is handy. This was the moment of truth. The SKF BR930456 went in and seemed to fit like a glove. Putting things back together was fairly easy. Just had to route the abs cable and plug it in under the hood. I backed my truck out of the garage to turn it around so I could do the other side. No clunks or bangs or grinding noises, so I was encouraged. I did the other side. The whole thing took me about 5 hours soup to nuts, which included going as slow as possible, break time, and a couple of pictures. I'm sure the dealer would have charged me $800+. Motorcraft hubs are each $300+ from the dealer. I spent about $310 total, so a savings of at least $500 total. I still don't know what the difference in all the hubs is. I would definitely recommend the SKF BR930456, or the Motorcraft HUB67 for anyone with an '06, and possibly the following years also. Just compare the specs for yourself to something like the Advanced Auto Parts, Driveworks hub before you order to make sure they are the same. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it seems that parts manufacturers might want Gen IV owners to pay more for hubs than GEN III owners. Can anybody tell me what the actual difference is in the, lets say, HUB67 vs HUB29.......or BR930456 vs BR930741, other than price?? I'd really like to know. If you don't want to go through all the motions you could just use HUB29 or BR930741 to be safe, and still save decent $ over what the dealer would charge. Only did this a couple of days ago, so I'm not 100% comfortable with the job I did yet. Last night I drove the truck a few miles and noticed a strange sound....silence. Oh yeah, forgot to mention I tightened the axle nuts back up with my 150lb torque wrench and leaned on it as much as I could past the 150 mark, so I think it's back to around 180 ft lbs. I'll check it again in a day or two.

Picture 1 shows the box that actually says Made in USA on the white label under HUBG3. The bearings themselves say Timken.

Picture 2 shows the axle tapped in a little to allow for good access to the bolts with a socket.

Picture 3 shows the hub free. You can see the gray rtv hanging around.

Picture 4 shows the socket set-up I used to get the bolts out.

View attachment 72138

View attachment 72139

View attachment 72140

View attachment 72141

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool write up EDWX-

It will be usefull for me next time I do mine on my 06. I have 148k miles and I replaced 4 of them already; when my first front went out, I bought some chinese for $ 99, it lasted few days and the wheel was about to fall off. They sent me a replacement one but that broke the moment I dropped the truck off the floor jack. At this point I had no more time, needed to get to work so I got a new one from the dealer at the parts counter. By my VIN, they came up with HUB29 which had 5 lugs and the abs sensor and harness - it was $ 360 or something. The next time the other side started going I ordered HUB29 from eBay for 250 which I thought was a good deal, but now I guess I'll use SKF.

By now, after 4 same jobs, it takes me 45 minutes to do one side with electric impact wrench, and it will probably take you just an hour next time :)

Thanks

Happy 2013

Congratulations on accomplishing a hairy job that was obviously beyond your comfort zone. Also, thanks for taking the trouble to post such a complete description with pictures to boot, as if you didn't already have your hands full.

I would have been one to go with a cheap Chinese version till I read about all the issues with those. Knowing that, I'll stick with Motorcraft, although the $40 savings for the SKF is tempting. How does $158 and free shipping sound for Motorcraft? Not looking forward to doing this, but when the time comes I'll have a better idea what to expect and what parts choices are available, so thanks!

Same goes for rear ones; get Timkens or you will have to do them multiple times. Did that once (used non brand) on the rear, never again. The fronts are baby job compared to the back.

Ed, did it fix your problem? After replacing the fronts, the problem was still there. It turned out to be the rears. My fronts looked as bad as yours though.... Neil

Things are quiet for now. I read a little about doing the rears. In my case it will be money well spent to have someone do them for me if it ever comes to that. I replaced a rear toe-link on my last X, and couldn't even get the bolt out of the pinch fitting, and had to have my brother-in-law help me with his torch to heat the thing red hot to get it to budge. Can't even imagine doing the rears. Yes $158 is a good price for the HUB67's especially with free shipping, etc.

Good deal, Ed..... I had someone do the rears for me also. I can lose my temper REAL fast if things don't go as planned. If you know what I mean. LOL

I did the "rear" job 3 times by now: twice to replace the bearing, and once to replace the ABS ring on the half-shaft, basicaly the same procedure. To take the knuckle off on Gen4 is waaaaaaaaaaaay easier than Gen3. In my case the biggest headache is to put back the e-brake assembly, and of course pressing out and pressing in the new bearing. Otherwise no special tools, forks, heat torch or anything, just bolts. Much better design than the Gen3.

Explorer PL, OK now ya got me thinking I might be able to handle the "rear" job. Will have to seriously consider it if/when the time comes. By any chance did you do a "how to" about it anywhere? Thanks. Ed.

No, I did not do any pix or write up - I am a bad member :) But it's really 5-10 bolts, and I made sure I had a shop that I took the knuckle to and they replaced the bearing in few hours, and then I just picked it up (wife's car available). Not all the shops have the press, and one shop wanted $ 200 for it, but a tire shop I always buy tires from did it for $50. The ebrake is a royal pain to put together, or I just do not have proper tools for that.

Interesting. It's not the e-brake stuff that bothers me, as long as I have something to stretch the pita spring. Maybe you could do my bearings and I can put your e-brakes back together :)

Thanks for the write-up. I just replaced my front driver's side with a Timken from RockAuto. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. On to the passenger side I guess...

I am trying to chase my front noise also. Had a mechanic drive it, he said it was coming from the front left wheel. He checked it with one of those laser pointed thermometers pointed to the hub, it was warmer than the other wheels.

Drove it home, checked it again and did not get a warmer reading with my pointer. Just driving it for now, till it gets worse.

Hub on 2007 Sport Trac XLS

Just replaced the front hub on my 2007 Sport Trac XLS. There was no information the Sport Trac Forum and was told to look here in the Explorer Forum.

Very similar, except my Sport Trac did not have a 32mm axle nut to remove. Just the brake calipers and brake sensor wire. The rotor came off to expose the hub. After removing the hub bolts, a couple hammer taps and off it came. Did not even have to remove the dust shield. Putting the new hub was very easy. I did clean up the surfaces of any junk.

The hardest part was actually jacking the car up and removing the tire as I was sitting on the garage floor.

Car sounds like a new car. Sorry I waited so long. :(

Just thought I would post this information for what it is worth. :)

Is yours 2 wd ?

Same goes for rear ones; get Timkens or you will have to do them multiple times. Did that once (used non brand) on the rear, never again. The fronts are baby job compared to the back.

I used motorcraft on mine. The Motorcraft brand actually use timkin bearings in the whole assy.

Nice to not have rust to deal with in S.W. Florida. My hub was almost fused to the knuckle, and the spline wasn't far behind.

Seems odd that a 2WD truck wouldn't still have a front axle to bolt to. My RWD cars do!

And, it's also odd that SKF, a bearing manufacturer, uses Timken bearings in their hubs, as does does Motorcraft. Says something about Timken, no?

but my question is can i just change the bearings and leave the hub dont have much money?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torque Specs

I have been noticing a very low noise (drone) from the front of my 2006 Ford Explorer, and have concluded that one of the bearings is on its way out.

So far I've been able to drive the car to the train station and back for work, but want to take care of this as soon as possible.

As I'm pretty confident this is the issue, and I have 75K miles on this car, I've purchased two motorcraft hub assemblies HUB-67 and have read a number of posts and online videos about how to tackle this job, but only found this one, specific to the 2006.

I have a couple of questions I'm not sure about.

Do I need new Spline/Axle nut?
If so, anyone know the part #
It seems to me these nuts are not to be reused, as they are one use lock in place.

I am also unclear of some of the torque specs.
Can anyone confirm/correct this info.
Spline/Axle nut 148 Ft-lbs
Hub assembly bolts ???
(I can't find this in my chilton manual)
(The three bolts per side, to attach the hub assembly)

Caliper bolts 24 Ft-lbs
Caliper mounting bolts 122 Ft-lbs

Thanks for any help/info

Ben

Back