• Register Today It's free!

K&N Problem? HEGOs Error

bloob

Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
HI

I put a K&N Induction kit in my '98 about 4 weeks ago. A couple of days ago the engine warning light came on and stayed on. Took the car to my dealer and the report was "HEGOS not switching correctly, Always running lean". They blamed the K&N and have told me to remove it. It sounds unlikely to me, but could it be the K&N? We have just entered a mega cold spell here if that's affected it.
Any advice greatly received.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The expanded airflow shouldn't cause it to run lean. I'd clean the MAF sensor, they sometimes get gummed up from excessively oiled filters.

Thanks for the reply, i'll have a look at it. The biggest problem is that the dealer said remove the K&N and put the old filter back in and see if the light comes on. If I clean the MAF sensor and the light comes on, i'm back to square one. I'll have to take it to the dealer to get the fault reset again, and they're not cheap :(

YOu dont have to go to the dealer to reset the PCM, you can use a OBD-II scanner (from $40-300) or you can disconnect the battery.
Check your FIPK kit installation for leaks.
Clean your MAS sensor

Your intake is not the cause of the 02 sensor lean code, it is either an air leak or too much filter oil on your mass air sensor.

Hundreds upon hundreds of us are running K&N and similar kits, heck the dealer here even sells them. Your dealer service dept SUCKS IMO :) They should know better then to blame it on the intake.

i have had the same problem.

the oil gunked up my intake!

i just took it into the shop cause of a check engine light

he said the same deal! running to lean.... i am going to pull the K&N out thursday!! we will see how it goes!

i will also be replacing the pcv!
joel

Back