• Register Today It's free!

K&N with a snorkel?

offroadLAX

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' XLT
Is it possible to make a sealed filter box to fit over a K&N air intake system? I wanted to make a snorkel for my 99 X but also want to keep my intake system on... I was wondering if anyone has done this or has thought of doing this!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have this bad boy on my 2000 with the 4.0 OHV:

57-2536.jpg

I'm trying to come up with a way to turn the metal plate behind the filter in to an enclosure that would be both water tight and simple to open up for filter cleaning/replacement. So far I haven't had much luck but I would love to hear what others thing :)

i have seen guys take 4 or 5 inch pvc, and then 3 inch pvc, they took the 4 or 5 inch pvc, and made their own air box then use the 3 inch for piping, if you get a k & n or any cone filter that accepts 3" od pipe, you can put it right on the 3"pvc pipe, and use the larger diamater pvc to cover that. its really hard to explain, i need to find the pics again

Wont the two just negate each other? I mean the snorkel is like sipping water through a long straw. I'd start with the stock air filter box, seal up all the holes, and go from there.

You can put the factory sealed airbox back on, the build a snorkel for it.

i have seen guys take 4 or 5 inch pvc, and then 3 inch pvc, they took the 4 or 5 inch pvc, and made their own air box then use the 3 inch for piping, if you get a k & n or any cone filter that accepts 3" od pipe, you can put it right on the 3"pvc pipe, and use the larger diamater pvc to cover that. its really hard to explain, i need to find the pics again

I think I get what you're saying..

As for the factory airbox, I really like my Amsoil filter. It's given me the cleanest oil I've ever had and doesn't leave an oily buildup on the MAF sensor.

i'm in the process of doing this now ;), still gathering a few parts. i just picked up a piece of 6" pvc this afternoon from a friend to use as "the air box".my truck had a k&n with some kind of maf adapter when i got it so i'm building a "box" off that.since i got the pvc for free it was cheaper than picking up a used air box to seal up.

i'm in the process of doing this now ;), still gathering a few parts. i just picked up a piece of 6" pvc this afternoon from a friend to use as "the air box".my truck had a k&n with some kind of maf adapter when i got it so i'm building a "box" off that.since i got the pvc for free it was cheaper than picking up a used air box to seal up.

that sounds like a good idea... i went to home depot this after noon to see what i could find and i was thinking about using the 6" pvc... if yall do have this done or in the process, ive looked to see if i could find pictures but couldnt find a thing, I think that there is alot of interest on this subject so if anyone has pictures post them up! Thanks for all the help guys... this has been on my mind for the past few months:salute:

Are you guys planning one of those snorkels that runs all the up the "A" pillar with a filter element above the roofline?

Are you guys planning one of those snorkels that runs all the up the "A" pillar with a filter element above the roofline?

I am. It will also have the option of coming out just above the fender, for the times when I don't plan on being in water up to the windshield :)

6 inch PVC might be what I end up using also, if I cant find the correct 8 inch fittings. I found 8 inch PVC caps though, which is a start.

Or leave the filter in the same place, and then run a breathing tube like this one?
volantsnorkel.jpg

Looks like I would use a combination of pre-fabricated kits for other cars, and homemade adapters.

Back