• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry pad code location

Welli

Reaction score
City, State
St Louis , Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT AWD
Hello explorers, this is my first post. I have bought a 2004 explorer and as usual nobody knows the code for the keyless pad on the driver's side door.
I have done research on the net and found various posts.
I bet this is out here on these forums already but I just want it to make it fresh for those looking for it. No sense paying the dealer $70 to retrieve the code for you.
Code location:

Passenger's side back part of the rear door.

• First you will need to remove the Torx bolt that holds the seat belt on the bottom.
  • Make sure rear seat is folded down , yeah that one that allows access to the third row if you have a third row seat.
  • Remove by hand the weather seal, yeah that black rubber that goes around the door , no need to remove it completely.
  • Remove the Plastic door jam that holds the carpet.
  • By hand, pry the plastic siding of the truck, just enough so you can see the security module half way up.
  • Those 5 numbers on it is the code. Try it at the door before putting everything back together.
code1.JPG

code2.JPG

Here is the module, the numbers are facing out, written on it.

code3.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice! any idea where this would be in a sport trac? :(

you make it look so easy lol. 30 minutes later I still came out with nothing. My dealer is pretty reasonable and Im having a bunch of stuff done there, I think Ill see if they will do it cheaply for me.

Adas,
Pop out the defroster vent from the top of your dash. Point a flashlight in there on the pass side, and from the outside of the windshield you can see the 5 digit code printed on the top of the module. Easiest to see while out of sunlight, like in a garage.

Awesome THANKS man!

I'll crack her open and check it out tomorrow.

I never got the code for my 04 mountaineer from the dealer.
(he offered to get me a new code for free, but i couldn't find time because of my job.)

Now i can actually SEE where it's at, sweet.

Adas,
Pop out the defroster vent from the top of your dash. Point a flashlight in there on the pass side, and from the outside of the windshield you can see the 5 digit code printed on the top of the module. Easiest to see while out of sunlight, like in a garage.
<3 i'll try that tomarrow! :D

Got it! woohooo

-Fold down passenger side seat(middle row)
-Reach behind passenger seat and pull RED SWITCH(whole seat comes forward)
-Pop off panel piece that covering over the seatbelt(piece of plastic thats between the passenger window and 3rd row window...using thin screwdriver of course.)
-Use use screw driver to pry the big panel off thats on the Side/Rear area of the truck. You ONLY need to pry near the door just to get the plastic Overtop of the rubber door seals, then just yank hard a few times, one side of the panel will come loose enough.
Then just pull part of the panel out of the way as you look down inside to see the code....theres just enough room to look inside there and see the door/computer box, and the 5 digit code is underneath and to the right of the barcode.

I had alittle trouble getting the panels back on, but they went on eventually.
The Smaller panel, you gotta make sure that plastic circular piece on the inside of the panel is Aligned with the Circular Nut on the seat belt bracket, otherwise you wont be able to adjust your seatbelt Up and Down when your done!

Took me like 5 minutes to crack the panels off, another 10 or 15 to wrestle them back on.

Looking at your pictures again, mine has alot more wires and stuff down there than yours does.

my guess, ya bummer, the '02 are different? My '04 is exactly the same as the OP.

Several posting state that it is behind a panel of the passanger side rear seat, others state it can be found by removing a defroster vent and looking down the vent with a flash light !!!! Are both of these options correct for the same vehicle?

This is all true. It all depends on Model and year of the truck. The example above with pictures is the same for explorers 2003/2003 4 door

The defroster vent description is for a Sport Trac.

I have a 02 Eddie and I found my exactly were the first post says.

Jss

I have an '02 Explorer XLT. Welli's image (where the trim is pulled away exposing the Siemen's box) is exactly the same as mine. But where is the 5 digit code? I cannot find it anywhere. Is it on the box? I just see a number of alphanumeric codes on the box..:(

I have an '02 Explorer XLT. Welli's image (where the trim is pulled away exposing the Siemen's box) is exactly the same as mine. But where is the 5 digit code? I cannot find it anywhere. Is it on the box? I just see a number of alphanumeric codes on the box..:(

look for a 5 digit code on the box. That should be it. .

Jim,

Thanks alot but that's just it. I dont see just a 5-digit code on the box. I just see labels with serial number-looking alphanumeric codes. Is the 5-digit code on the box on typed on a label or is it just written on the box or on a piece of tape (a picture would be worth a 1,000 words here!). Thanks again, JSS

seymoujs,

If you see where all the harnesses are plugged in there, its on the side of the box (facing the drivers side) on a huge white sticker. The numbers are there in big black letters.

The thing is...I don't have the keypad option.

I have the harness for it in the drivers door, and it also seems I have the module for it along with the code for it on there. I assume if I geyt a keypad and stick it on, it'll work? Although that would mean a whole new door and stuff...

Member mikephotos did a very nice tut for getting the Gen 3 door code several years ago. He changed his url a while ago but I recently found him again. Have a look here for some good pics and instructions:

http://www.rampslides.com/explorer/keypadcode.html

Other goodies at his site too. Enjoy.

hmm maybe Ill give it another try after the baby goes for a nap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello explorers, this is my first post. I have bought a 2004 explorer and as usual nobody knows the code for the keyless pad on the driver's side door.
I have done research on the net and found various posts.
I bet this is out here on these forums already but I just want it to make it fresh for those looking for it. No sense paying the dealer $70 to retrieve the code for you.
Code location:

Passenger's side back part of the rear door.

• First you will need to remove the Torx bold that holds the seat belt on the bottom.
  • Make sure rear seat is folded down , yeah that one that allows access to the third row if you have a third row seat.
  • Remove by hand the weather seal, yeah that black rubber that goes around the door , no need to remove it completely.
  • Remove the Plastic door jam that holds the carper.
  • By hand pry the plastic siding of the truck, just enough so you can see the security module half way up.
  • Those 5 numbers on it is the code. Try it at the door before putting everything back together.
code1.JPG

code2.JPG

Here is the module, the numbers are facing out, written on it.

code3.JPG
All i gotta say is its right where its on the picture. took me less that 5 min to get the code!!!!
reprogrammed the code and im done!!!!!!

THANX!!!!!!!!!!

PS No tools necessary!!! The numbers were small and on the bottom right. Look for 5 digit number and that will be your code!

Back