• Register Today It's free!

Keyless Entry Pad: New Fix

jeff4912

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer 4WD
The 1-2 key on my keyless entry pad was not working anymore, but the others were.

So I researched fixes on the Explorer Board and went for the seemingly most common cause which is the broken wire in the door jamb wire bundle.

I opened the wire bundle up and looked at the light blue wire with the yellow tracer that is for the 1-2 key pad button. It was intact. Two black wires, that I assume are grounds were cracking, so I repaired them.

Back to the key pad. After finding the culprit wire intact, I pulled the vapor barrier away from the door and followed the light blue wire/yellow tracer back toward the key pad on the drivers door.

When you get almost all the way back to the rear of the door, you will see a white connector that goes to the key pad. It is near the upper left corner of the door panel as you sit in the car looking at it.

The connector was corroded on the inside after I disconnected it. I shot WD40 in there after disconnecting the battery and carefully brushed the contacts. I then reshot it with WD40 and then blew it out with compressed air.

Connected everything back up and it now works.:thumbsup:

I had not heard this issue with the keyless entry pad before, so I thought it might save somebody aggravation if I shared.

Nice job on the fix! :biggthump

Thank for posting. Many people have issues with the keypad and this is sure to help out. :)

Back