Knowing when to stop... a sad but comical story | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knowing when to stop... a sad but comical story

Roadrunner777

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bemidji, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4 Sport 88k
This is not a request for help or information, just a story about my last two weeks and an adventure into the Explorer Repair Twilight Zone.

A few months ago, I noticed I had to crank the engine a little longer than usual to get it to start. It was still less than a second, no big deal. But, in recent weeks, it got to about 2 or 3 seconds and my fiancé said something about it, so I had to fix it...

Checked fuel pressure, way too low when cranking, then builds up to normal after about 5 seconds. I swapped out the fuel pump, everything is good. For what it is worth, there is a little rubber tip with a slit in it on the fuel pump assembly, and the slit was not closing all the way. This tip is supposed to keep fuel in the lines while the truck is parked, so it was pretty conclusive.

About a week later, my brake pedal starts getting soft. I add fluid... fluid goes away, I add more fluid, etc... I can deal with the truck not starting, but I really need the truck to be able to stop... so I check into it right away. The brake line going to the back brakes had split right behind the fuel tank. I probably bumped it when I was doing the pump and the old line was so brittle.

So, I learn how to do double flares and run a new line from the ABS unit to the rubber line at the differential. Easy!

(enter Rod Serling)

The morning I started this work, I was feeling a little bit of vertigo. As the day warmed, it was getting worse, but I figured, all I have to do is cut out the old line, get it off the jacks and I'll take it easy.

I guess the vertigo was effecting my judgment. I was planning to cut the old line into segments to make removal easier. Part way through that process (and doing a lot by feel because I couldn't see the line directly) I made a cut and then could not find it. Great. I cut something I didn't want to. But I looked and looked, got a flashlight and really checked carefully. I checked everything that should be there (fuel lines, wiring harnesses, etc...) everything looked fine. Brakes were solid, lights worked, engine started perfectly, no leaking of any kind. I move on, realizing that I was somewhat impaired at that point and maybe just imagined it. I move back to the center of the truck, felt up into the frame rail, found something that felt like brake line and cut it. Surprise, gasoline! I cut the braided line about 6" south of the fuel filter.

I go inside and share my fate with my fiancé, and asked her to drive me to the hardware store for parts to splice the line, which she did, and then I very wisely handed them to her and told her not to let me have them until the next day. She noticed I wasn't myself and put me to bed with a nice movie and supper.

Next day, still a little vertigo but not as bad. I splice the line, and test for leaks. The engine shuts down 15 seconds after I start it. (Discouraging words were spoken). Fuel pressure gauge is still hooked up, I check it, way too low again, it's acting like a flow issue. My mind spins... was it the mystery item I cut earlier? Defective fuel pump? I check voltage at the pump, I get something like 9 volts. I'm thinking I nicked the wiring to the pump. (You may notice that this is not actually possible because the engine ran fine after I made the mystery cut... another sign of an altered state).

I run a jumper wire from the battery to the pump, and it makes all this weird gurgling bubbling sounds, then, it gets smoother and finally sounds normal. I start the truck, everything is great. I guess when I cut the gas line, I drained all the fuel from the filter, lines, rails, etc... and I just needed to bleed it out. It starts to rain, so I get it off the jack stands and give it a quick drive (on my long private driveway). It goes, it stops, everything is wonderful.

Later, I am feeling better and I drive to the store. No right turn signal. More discouraging words are expelled. I must have nicked the wiring harness after all. I get out and check things... the brake lights are fine in the back, and it blinks with my e-blinker. Turn signal makes the turn lamp turn on solid, like the front bulb is out. I go whack on the front turn signal, everything starts working fine again. That brings us up to this morning, I had to get to work early but I am replacing the bulb on my lunch break.

As to the vertigo, when it first started, I checked my vitals, sugars, etc... and everything was par. I called my doctor's office and they said to give it a few days, there is an upper respiratory virus going around and it should clear up, which it did. So now me and my explorer are back to normal, back from...

The Twilight Zone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol sounds like every repair I've ever made to a car. Haha

You can never simply replace one thing. You must always (and usually without knowledge or intent) break something else. You won't know this until later, and by later, I mean "the least convenient time". Then you must fix that. But wait! On this quest, you find something you want to add, it should only tack another 45 minutes or hour to the project you're already doing! So you get it. You start your work. Now you're not finished SIX hours later, you lost a bolt, you got a ride back to the store now three times to pick something up you didn't think you'd need (surprise!). It is now the next day. You did not finish, a part of your vehicle is in pieces. Now you must get a ride, or drive something else to work.

I spent some time today actually tinkering with the fuel system, and I need to correct myself... trying to catch every place I mentioned this. This problem has nothing to do with the duckbill check valve. The duckbill valve is downstream of the fuel pressure regulator, so it does not come into play here. That leaves three possibilities: The check valve inside the fuel pump body, leaking fuel injectors, or a problem with the fuel pressure regulator. Since replacing the fuel pump assembly fixed my problem, I'm going with that.

I love fuel issues...

Hey, it works now. Be happy and don't make it angry! :p

Back