• Register Today It's free!

KYB Mono Max...Worth the price?

tsuyoshi077

Reaction score
City, State
Ewa Beach, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
I searched the forum and not one match for the KYB Mono Max shocks. Anyone has any feedback if they are worth it? I was looking at IAS, Rancho 9000's or the Mono Max. I do a little off roading on the sand only and mostly paved traveling.

The Monomax KYB's are great shocks. High quality, large piston, high pressure, all the good stuff. I put them on my Explorer & I liked them, but the rear rides really stiff. Keep in mind, I like for my cars and trucks to ride stiff, but these were a little too much. I used to be a stocking dealer for them & I talked to one of the KYB reps and he said that they valve the Monomax for vehicles that will be carrying a large load or be towing most of the tim. If you do either of these, I highy recommend them. Be warned, however, if you don't, the rear of the vehicle WILL ride very stiff. If I were going to do it over, I would get the Monomax for the front as they will give you the most controlled ride, and the gas-a-justs for the rear.

One more option: What I'm going to do to my Monomax rears, whenever I feel motivated, is dissasemble them and revalve them. This involves bleeding the nitrogen out of them, disassembling them, buying valve shims, revalving, welding a 1/8" bung on the top & threading on a schrader valve stem, assembling and recharging with notrogen.

Of course, the first is much easier & won't void your warranty....

i had them and replaced them with edelbrocks because they were too stiff. then i replaced the edelbrocks with sensatracs b/c the edelbrocks were too stiff. yes, i'm crazy but i wanted a smooth ride. the kyb's and edelbrocks would probably last longer than my monroes, and they were really well made shocks, but were a bit too stiff for my taste.

Back